THE TRUST FOR PUBLIC LAND JOB DESCRIPTION TITLE: Hawai`i Native Lands Program Coordinator ANNUAL SALARY Min. 32,308 DEPARTMENT: WRO/National Programs RANGE: Mid. 43,077 SUPERVISOR: Hawai`i Islands Program Director Max. 53,846 GRADE: 9 STATUS: Exempt FTE: 1 Position Summary: One Year Position Only (continuation of position, contingent on raising funding). The Hawai`i Native Lands Program Coordinator supports and assists the Hawaiian Island Program Director and Hawai`i Project Manager in coordinating with the National Tribal and Native Lands Program Director and the Tribal and Native Lands Program Staff in developing, planning, and implementing the goals and objectives of the Hawaiian Islands Program Long Range Strategic Plan and the Tribal and Native Lands Program Long Range Strategic Plan. The position will be based in TPL’s Honolulu, Hawai`i office. The Hawaiian Islands Program focuses on projects that protect coastlines and properties that perpetuate Hawaiian culture. The Tribal and Native Lands Program is a growing national program that mobilizes TPL’s extensive expertise and resources to assist tribal governments and Native communities with regaining and protecting their traditional lands. This position will coordinate a wide variety of activities from administrative details to project implementation. In general, this positions time is allocated as follows: 30% outreach and communications, 30% program and project development, 30% program and project implementation, and 10% general administration/fundraising/strategy,. As used in this job description the words "native" includes Native American and Alaska Native tribal governments, Native Hawaiian organizations and government entities and Alaska Native regional and village corporations and regional non-profit organizations. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Under the supervision and direction of the Hawaiian Islands Program Director (in coordination with the Tribal and Native Lands Program Director), the Program Coordinator shall: Outreach (30%) Coordinate routine outreach to external and internal audiences and constituents, including preparing and upon occasion delivering presentations. Build public awareness and understanding of TPL by writing publicity materials, cultivating media contacts, and conducting outreach. Oversee the production and distribution of information packets, newsletters, brochures, and web pages. Update web site, press packets, and, databases (project and funders). Maintain, develop, and cultivate strong relationships with Hawaiian organizations and governmental entities, partner organizations, public agencies, funding organizations, donors, government officials, community-based groups and others to meet the goals and objectives of the program. Respond to requests for technical assistance from Hawaiian community groups and individuals, Hawaiian government entities, and land trust partners. Markets TPL’s services to new Hawaiian organizations, groups, and government entities. Program and Project Development/Research (30%) Research and identify areas in which TPL's assistance is needed for the preservation of open space lands of critical importance to Hawaiian organizations, government entities and individuals. Explores potential projects by contacting and responding to inquiries by Hawaiian organizations, government entities and individuals. May initiate some projects, although most project work is delegated by the Project Manager and Program Director. Research and coordinate information about public financing options for funding Hawaiian land conservation work. Conduct in-depth research and analysis to produce written materials related to the Hawaiian Islands Program and Tribal and Native Lands Program. Program and Project Implementation/Transactions (30%) Plan project strategy under supervision of the Hawaiian Islands Program Director and Project Manager and negotiates with landowners toward acquisition of real estate for conservation and cultural preservation purposes. Analyze land resource, including identifying cultural, recreational and other resource values important to Hawaiians. Coordinate property conveyances and oversee technical preparation of deeds, contracts, title, and appraisals. Assist in generating revenues for TPL through transactions such as organizing constituency support for agency funding of land acquisitions and/or fundraising in the private sector. Assist TPL staff with completing projects by serving as a liaison to Hawaiian organizations, entities and individuals, and facilitating communication and identifying opportunities. Strategy/Fundraising/Administration (10%) Assist in capacity building of the programs to include infrastructure, funds development, and program services. Work with Tribal and Native Lands Program and Hawaiian Islands Program Directors to develop short and long-term plans for expanding TPL’s acquisition presence and effectiveness Assist with developing, planning, and implementing the goals, objectives, and projects of the Hawaiian Islands Program and the Tribal and Native Lands Program. Travel to meetings, conferences, and trainings in support of program activities General program support such as travel arrangements, scheduling of meetings, and general office correspondence, filing, etc. QUALIFICATIONS: -- Bachelor's degree or equivalent -- Two years experience working for or with Hawaiian governmental entities or organizations on land, environmental, or natural resource issues. -- Training in land use management, planning, real estate, public policy, environmental studies, or related area of study or practical experience and/or master's degree would be preferred. -- Broad knowledge of Hawaiian and Native American governance, protocols, cultures, and history related to land taking and components of native sovereignty, self-determination, self-sufficiency and cultural continuity. -- Familiarity with Hawai`i landscapes, history, and politics, and Hawaiian language a plus. -- Ability to work independently to complete complex assignments, resolve problems/conflicts, and develop recommendations using a high level of analysis, judgment, tact, and initiative. -- Willingness and ability to travel inter-island and out of state. -- Demonstrated proficiency in research, analysis, writing, and publication of technical reports. -- Demonstrated ability to carry out projects with minimal supervision. -- Ability to combine sound business sense and judgment with commitment to land preservation. -- Ability to establish professional relationships and negotiate effectively with landowners and public agencies. -- Ability to manage multiple tasks and to form effective working relationships. -- Superior written and oral communication skills, including public speaking. -- Excellent organizational and computer skills (GIS skills a plus). -- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines. Creative and independent worker.

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Aloha,

Don't think this is a good thing...can't even infiltrate.

Luahine.
  • I apologize, but I sometimes spit when I talk. You know the philosophy I meant behind that metaphor. If you view my remarks as condescending than by all means you have misinterpreted my tone and critique of the system we are all in. I do walk on my own path, but what I don't see is others walking alongside me on their own. I don't see a majority of our people taking chances to put themselves on the line, and be struck down again and again and again for our freedom. I see a few, but not many. Therein lies the problem.

But what's worse than what you say is my condescencion is your dissent upon my values and beliefs which I believe pushes others to e ala e. That kind of rhetoric you preach is unworthy of respect if you choose to mock my expression with your pitiless ill-reproach. I'm not a fisherman, but I manage to recieve fish from those who gift it to me, when I gift them food from my own garden.

And my computer may be plugged into a wall socket that is charged with burning diesel fuel, but atleast I am conscious enough to know that I already hold the kuleana to the taxes that are being sucked dry out of us so the power is there. But thanks for the reminder, maybe you can be so kind to pass a napkin to wipe your spit off of my face now.

Hale Mawae
    Eo Lono!
  • Look another de facto federal program that is trying to manage our resources for us because we as kanaka maoli are totally incapable of managing it ourselves I guess. And the last time I looked around I wasn't Native American, nor do I fall under Native American practices and their protocols under U.S. Federal guidelines.

De facto!

What are you doing Ikaika?
    • I hear what you are saying.
      However, I ask that you not attack Ikaika for posting this.
      Isn't it better that he did?
      If not, the position would still be filled but this discussion would not exist.
      I think it is better to know what is going on.
      Aloha, Laulani
      • Again, it wasn't an attack. LANA and Pauahi wonderfully crafted it into what they call "inadvertant attacks." Hmm...interesting since she never seemed to point out what my "inadvertant attacks" were besides her own critique and literal attack on my own writing.

And if you read above I better stop utilizing written language as well as the English language since I using a computer as a tool to share mana'o with someone who is far from the reaches of our shore is out of the question. Interesting. I'm laughing more and more with each ignorant statement she makes.

Hale Mawae
        Eo Lono!
        • E kala mai -- I stand corrected. I guess the main thing I'm trying to say is that I would really like to see us all give each other a break. That goes for all of us. We are too few in number to be unkind, even unintentionally. Not that I don't, um, mess up myself sometimes, but I think the main thing is to keep the aloha flowing clear.
          Aloha, Laulani
        • There is need to insult the iwi just because you may be pissed off at me.

Here is an example of an inadvertent attack on some of your own cousins who are oiwi too and their survival. You wrote this in your response to Pauahi:

"Are "we" really so cognizant of the de facto government being here in our midsts if our people are still going to continue to advertise/take jobs from entities like this one Ikaika posted?"

"That's usually when most kanaka take the "red pill" and forget all about the big, ugly truthful world around them to wake up another day. A world where they can drive their big American car into their construction or hotel job, collect their paycheck, and go back to a place where they never really feel at home. Because most people don't really know. Because honestly most people aren't truly cognizant of the circumstances."

My point was that statements like these do not hurt America and/or its representatives. It only hurts other Hawaiians and that's why I stated "Show some compassion to other Hawaiians who are not as fortunate as you may be."

Also when you say that I am "far from the reaches of our shore"... you are speaking ill of our kupuna and judging our kupuna because our kupuna migrated from other islands to Hawai'i.

To judge other Hawaiians who migrate elsewhere (whether temporary or permanent) is also to judge them and their suvival. Your kupuna may show you a sign to tell you that is not nice to do that to them.

Like I stated before... please show some compassion for other Hawaiians who may not be as fortunate as you because if other Hawaiians survive... so do our kupuna.

P.S. You may wanna log off the computer too since it's from the colonizers and based on what you have written you seem to despise the colonizers and colonized minds so much. Other Hawaiians understand that if we adapt and survive so do our kupuna so yes we use computers but we do not accuse other Hawaiians of having colonized minds just because we are pissed off that others do not agree with us. No need to insult the IWI just because you may be pissed off at me. All that I stated (as long as it may be) was to please show some compassion to other Hawaiians who may not be as fortunate as you. No need insult the iwi just because you may be pissed off at me.

Aloha,
          Lana
          • Eia mai! The Hawaiian diaspora is not really based on survival. There are many reasons that many kanaka leave this kulaiwi. That is not the problem. It is a symptom of the unlawful occupation of our pae aina by a foreign military power.

It is a fact that one of the reasons that Kanaka struggle in our own paeaina is due to the outmigration of our lahui to work and live in foreign lands. Kanaka living in California and other foreign lands are truly disconnected with what is going on in Hawai'i. Therefore, it is hard for me to follow your argument that they continue to hold some kind of kuleana to this land. Now, don't get me wrong but there are a handful of kanaka who truly try their best to keep connected to the pae'aina and struggles that our people endure. But, I wouldn't be lying if I said that 98% of the kanaka living in foreign lands really cared for what is going on in Hawai'i. In fact, it is really rare to hear off-island kanaka say anything more than Kau Inoa.

Also, I also despise the "colonizers" and "colonization." But, I am not foolish to think that the use of a computer belongs to the "colonizer" and "colonization." Look up the meaning of colonization and you'll find that it has more to do with racism, foreign domination of resources and labor, killing the "native" physically, spiritually, economically, and culturally, and replacing in them the mentality of the colonizer to the point where they don't question their being complicit in their own subjugation.

Anyways, I have enough experiences to know that just because someone is "ethnically" Hawaiian because of their koko, it doesn't mean that they desire what's best for those of us who struggle everyday to be Hawaiian in Hawai'i.

Wahi a kupuna, e ho'i i ka iwikuamo'o!

Na'u no,
            Ihikapalaumaewa
            • EO!
              • Aue! There you again, Lana, making up words that I didnt' say or believe.

"DON'T yet you act as though you do and you have the AUDACITY to basically tell other Hawaiians who have left Hawai'i that they are not Hawaiian"

Never said this. Look deep within your soul and you see that this is some kind of issue that comes from within you and your own self questioning.

Also, Kehau and Keala, I do know them and their work. Met and worked with them and others here in the Paeaina. However, they are truly just a small representation of the masses of our people who live away. The vast majority are lost in foreign lands and need to return home.

Anyways, as you seem to believe that you represent and work with our kupuna. Let me say that I shared this discussion with some kupuna and others while we were working in the lo'i today. They pretty much said the same thing. They need to come home so they no what's going on and they can kako'o.

I don't disrespect our kupuna, in fact I work with many of them in Hawaii on a daily basis. Maybe, if you really believed in their wisdom and value you would come home and work along with them.

I lahui naauao,
                Ihikapalaumaewa
This reply was deleted.