The Kumulipo, Pu'ou and Hewahewa

Aloha kakou, It's me again, Tazhi. I came across this while researching for a school project. I thought it was kinda hoihoi (interesting). So, if you have any mana'o, please write me at: tajibaby@aol.com. Have a wonderful day! Also, like the last post, I have placed it on the Hewahewa reunion website as well. I was reading some information about the Kumulipo, a genealogical prayer chant, that gave a little information about our ancestors, Hewahewa and Pu'ou. Some background on the Kumulipo: It is said to have been composed for Ka'I'iamao, or Kalaninui'i'amamao, the father of Kalani'opu'u. Queen Lili'uokalani gives the date of 1700 as its composition date. This Kumulipo for Kalaninui'iamamao was passed on by him to Alapa'iwahine. "Hewahewa and Ahukai were the ones who recited this chant to Alapa'iwahine at Koko, O'ahu. It was also recited to Ke'eaumoku while lying on his deathbed." "This chant of Kumulipo is the chant recited by Pu'ou to Lono (Captain Cook) as he stood while a sacrifice of pork was offered to him at the heiau of Hikiau at Kealakekua." "In two instances it was apparently connected with a religious ceremony within a heiau. In the two instances in which the reciters are named they are priests and two in number, since a chant of such importance could not be entrusted to the memory of a single individual and the technical effort involved must have been of an exacting nature. The reciters seem also to have been priests of rank. Of Hewahewa who chanted as Ke'eaumoku lay dying, we are told that he claimed lineal descent from the priest Pa'ao whom tradition claimed to have migrated to Hawai'i before intercourse with southern groups had ceased and to have introduced reforms on that island at a time of decay of the chiefship." This was very interesting to me, the fact that this very important genealogical chant was entrusted to our ancestors, both Hewahewa and Pu'ou. Little by little, as I read things about our kupuna, they begin to become more and more alive to me. I feel that in learning about them, I also learn how I can better honor them. Write me if you have any mana'o. Write me if you have anything to share me because I love to learn. I will post more things as I find my notes.... :-) Aloha ke Akua, cousin Tazhi Pu'uhonua Tavares

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –