Aloha mai kakou, 'O Tazhi keia. I just wanted to post this in case anyone knows anything about her or just for the sake of history. If you have any mana'o, write me at: tajibaby@aol.com. Ka'u'ukuali'i I was reading Samuel M. Kamakau's book, Ruling Chiefs of Hawai'i, and I came across something that was very interesting to me on page 165, second paragraph: "On March 8 (1793) Vancouver left Kealakekua and sailed for Maui and on March 12 reached Lahaina. Here he met Kahekili, the ruling chief of Maui, a very old man at this time and strange in appearance because of his black tatooing. Vancouver told him to stop fighting and establish friendly relations with the chiefs of Hawai'i. Ka'ilinaoa spoke for him and said that Kahekili would agree to peace, but it was not right for the chiefs of Hawai'i to raid Maui and rob and pillage without cause. Kahekili requested Vancouver, if he desired peace, to stay there all the time and guard him against further wars. Vancouver remarked that Kamehameha "had many chiefs in his following" (nuinui ali'i Kamehameha), [but because of his imperfect knowledge of the language he used the words, "is a great chief"]. Kahekili, thinking he referred to Kamehameha's rank, protested, saying, "Kamehameha has come up from nothing; I am a great chief." Vancouver answered, "Ho! you have few chiefs, he has many." "No, no! I am the great chief, he is not a chief!" All this time Kahekili was speaking of their perspective ranks, Vancouver of the number of their followers, because he had seen Kamehameha's men and how many there were and how well equipped with arms. The chiefs of old were very jealous of each other. And because Vancouver had called him a "little chief" ('u'uku ali'i) Kahekili called his grandchild, Ahukai, who was named after the sea-sprayed land of Waialua, "The little chief" (Ka-'u'uku-ali'i). She was the daughter of Manono ka-ua-kapeku-lani (k) and of Ka-'ili-naoa (w), who was the daughter of Mano-ha'aipo, the daughter of Kekaulike (k) with Holau (w), who was the daughter of Ka-ua-kahi-hele-i-ka-iwi" So, I was just wondering if this is the same Kauukualii in our 'ohana genealogy that is married to Nahuewai, the son of Hewahewa and the grandson of Pu'ou. Does anyone know? It appears that the the name itself, Ka-'u'uku-ali'i, is not a common name. In this story, given by Kamakau, Kahekili is intent on remembering Vancouver's unknowing insult toward him by bestowing this name on his granddaughter, first known as Ahukai. Interestingly, on the North Shore of O'ahu, there is a place called 'Ehukai which also mean sea spray. So, if anyone knows or has any mana'o on this, please write to me (tajibaby@aol.com)! I have more information on this Ahukai Ka'u'ukuali'i, as well as some of her genealogy, which unfortunately does not name a spouse or children. I also do know that she is on Kaua'i island in 1848 because of a claim letter she sends to the Land Commission regarding the ahupua'a of Pa'ala'a at Waialua, O'ahu (North Shore). I was also able to find a Land Commission Award for her on the island of Kaua'i dated January 16, 1848 at Halele'a, Wai'oli, Kaua'i. I was very excited to read this, and find more information about this person. Perhaps she is our 'ohana too? a hui hou, Tazhi

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sorry Tazli I sent this on my daughters maoli page.......I have my own Rick Kamaiopili
  • Aloha Tazhi,

This is part of my genealogy also

Nahuewai(k)……….Ahukai Kauukualii(w)

1. Kailikahi,(w)

2. Kupahu,(k)…………Pililuua,(w)

3. Ilialoha/Ilikahi,(w)……….Kekaiula, (k)

4. Hewahewa II,(k)………..Keliiopunui,(w)

5. Nalua,(w)……………..Kahooliiuni,(k)

6. Kaweaweanui,(w)………..William Edward Lewis Maxwell

1. George Maxwell

2. James Kimo Maxwell

3. William Kahikina Maxwell ………Elizabeth Eliza Hennessey

1. George Maxwell……..Mary Ann Silva

2. Emily Maxwell……….James Michael Keelen

3. Honora Kaonohi Maxwell……….Samuel K Kamaiopil my side and

I believe that this Ahukai Kauukualii is our ancestor

Mahalo Rick Kamaiopili

My email is waimrk@hawaiiantel.net if you need any more information concerning this genealogy
    PS.......I tried to send this on your email but somethings wrong. I couldn't
This reply was deleted.