'A'ohe pau ka 'ike i ka halau ho'okahi?

It is true that not all knowledge is learned in the same halau. But when it comes to dancing kapulu hula when its half way around the world in Europe, I have to say PLEASE STOP! Here we have a deeply inspired European in a place that has no connection to our piko and our source of hula. Yet it seems people LOVE our culture so much, that they create atrocities like this and post it online via youtube.com. Yet hula beats deeply in her heart. It instructs her to copy styles of hula and turn it into a mish-mash array of a hula style rock-a-billy love dance that 4 year old haole children and drunk tourists dance around to at 50 dollar plastic lei luau's. Atleast we have the confidence that they will stick to the basic basics. The Hukilau number. Who care's anymore if that song is culturally appropriated on by cheap maitai drunks. Apparently though, Hukilau is too basic for them. So they've decided to move on to something a little more worldly. Like The Brother's Cazimero here for example. She's feeling it deeply in her heart, but it looks to be on the verge of a pulmonary attack. I thought this lovedance was a good laugh, in the spirit of merrie monarch coming up around the corner. Maybe Uncle Frank and Aunty Vicky gave her the invite. Can we say "candidate for Miss Aloha Hula 2008?" How about let's work on that 'ami. Hale Mawae Eo Lono!

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• :) i still believe the best way to deal with this particular instance of hula desecration is to do as my tutu said, which is HAMAULEO... if you really believe that you can control every type of representation of hawaiian culture than you may be taking time away from really helping- by doing it RIGHT yourself and according to whatever mana'o you have. Just hamauleo and carry on in the way you were taught and others will see the difference between the 'right' way and wrong. As far as children of hawaiian descent who may be watching and really think this is how it is done I must extend my sympathy, AND encouragement, to actually seek out and compare hula halaus and learn the difference between a studio and a halau. If you try to look for depth you will find it, if you don't- well, sorry to say, you may not deserve to know the difference... AUE!, and it is so hard to hamauleo... look at me... haha. but here i go... muuuuuuuuuuuuuu....
  • Hale Mawae, I miss speaking with you. E kelepona mai i a'u.
  • Such anger and bitterness displayed toward someone inspired is embarrassing. Inspiration, especially by virtue of something so dear to us as hula, should be celebrated -- not derided. Aohe i pau ka ike i hookahi halau.
    -- Kainoahemolele
    • Hula should be celebrated when done correctly. and not placed on youtube if not done correctly...it gives people a distorted view of our culture and that does nothing for our culture. I'm for taking video like that off of youtube.
      • Who could be confused by hula done incorrectly? There is no faking hula. We are not dead and our children go to halau.
        • The unknowing could easily be confused. You speak as one who has seen hula done correctly, but despite higher profile of hula in the world, there is a huge population of people globally who have no clear idea of what hula should look like, and the youtube piece would certainly introduce the idea that what it depicts is hula as Hawaiians do it. And there is a long history of faking hula via hollywood, with nothing but lascivious hip swinging and uncoordinated hand waving, and no content besides the blatant sexual innuendos that filmmakers wished to convey at the time.
          I am glad you are tolerant, and at the same time agree with Momi's stance. Comments on the youtube piece could point to an alternate piece that depicts hula well.
          Aloha kaua e Kainoahemolele
          'Ohu
          • The unknowing but inspired student could certainly be confused by a Youtube piece done all kapakahi -- that is, if those were the only kinds of depictions available on Youtube. I would take a enthusiasts raw interest, however, over the danger that their impression of hula would be tainted by a Youtube hula parody. The opportunity to see hula in its highest forms are readily available on Youtube, so any inspired viewer would be presented with both perspectives upon their own investigations. Haoles are not basically undiscerning. They can tell the difference between something executed with the force of tradition and someone merely trying to imitate that tradition. Believe in the power and grace of hula.
  • Sometimes I think it is important to talk about it so we don't have keiki who think it is part of the culture.

We can disreguard it but if we do, and let them go on educating the world on a venue like youtube, of what our culture is, that is a big problem for the revitalization of our own culture. I've seen alot of crazy people portaying hawaiians on youtube. Don't get me wrong, I love youtube. There are some nicely done youtube videos though like John Ka`imikaua's video at Ka`ana.

That `olelo no`eau is true....it is a very humbling `olelo no`eau because it's definition means that no one holds "all knowledge". and yes, our kupuna had high standards of which is not portrayed on the video.

As a Kanaka Maoli, it is frustrating to see things like this.
  • this is not even worth bringing attention to. i am always told by my tutu to just... 'disreguard.' there is nothing to 'do' about it. nothing even to say. 'oki.
This reply was deleted.