Learn (some) Oli Hawaiʻi here

Starting June 17, 2008, If you have free time on Tuesdays, from 6:00 to 9:00 pm, I am teaching basic and advanced Hawaiian chant at UH Mānoa (Kamakakūokalani Center for Hawaiian Studies). This class is in the continuing tradition of Kumu John Keola Lake, who trained and put me through ʻūniki a few years back. Prior to his passing he made clear to me his desire that I continue teaching his oli classes. If you already are familiar with: Kūnihi ka mauna (Oli komo) Noho ana ke akua (Oli pale) E ulu kini o ke akua (Oli kini akua) Nā ʻAumākua (Oli ʻaumākua) Kākua pāʻū (Oli komo lole) E hō mai (Oli haumana) Eia Hawaiʻi he moku, he kanaka (Oli kepakepa) I Kāne mā lāua o Kanaloa (Oli no ke aliʻi) O kau ola e ke akua (Pule Mauliola) Onaona i ka hala (Oli aloha) Ke lei maila (Oli lei) E ala e (Oli pukana lā) I kū mau mau! (Oli laulima) ʻO Kāne wai ola (Oli inu ʻawa) and so forth, then you can skip the beginning level and start with the advanced class (7:30 - 9:00 PM), however, if you want to come and refresh on these and build toward a larger and larger repertoire of oli Hawaiʻi, drop by at 6PM, and feel free to stay until pau ka papa at 9PM. If you want to come, let me know first! send me a message on my profile. mahalo ā nui, ʻOhu

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• please watch videos for a chance to win prizes and contest
    clik on advertisers links to win
    not responsible for contest rules or game play

email me at merchantmansmith@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/Amani Smith
    www.facebook.com/Sufferahsmusic
    www.twitter.com/Sufferahsmusic
    www.hotlinemastering.com <~~ visit for the best mastering prices in the world
    from arguably one of the worlds best mastering engineers SONIN
  • I wish I lived in Hawai'i Nei; I would love to take your classes. I would love to learn to chant! I can sing and used to dance hula; wish I still was.
  • I would LOVE to come. I am working at that time though 70-236 - so I will have to try to re-arrange my work schedule (wish me luck). Are you ever, ever going to have classes on the Windward side? Well - it's just a thought 650-393 but I will try to change my work schedule and get back to you. My late son was a student with Na Pua Noeau and he did an oli - "Calling for the sun" - and it gave me goosebumps and made me cry. When we took his ashes out to sea on canoes, his cousin, Noelani Puniwai, chanted 650-251 . I want to learn this oli (and others) so I can teach it to his daughter. She is 5 now.
  • ko Annie, ho haumana o naipo na mea hula - 1995-99 ( my olelo is faded little bit, so no mind kay?)
    I hope to attend your classes. I think it will help bicsi rcdd me to fill the void i feel since the passing of our Kumu John Lake. I understand you had some free classes, but I don't mind tuition and I'll just go check it out.
    I went through my old hawaiiana hula halau notes and started reminiscing and also found i forgot some rythms and meanings so i need to refresh my memories and create more. hope to see you soon.
    • See you Tuesday at 6PM, Center for Hawaiian Studies. Let me know if you have trouble getting together on tuesday evenings.
      'Ohu
  • ko Annie, ho haumana o naipo na mea hula - 1995-99 ( my olelo is faded little bit, so no mind kay?)
    I hope to attend your classes. I think it will help bicsi rcdd me to fill the void i feel since the passing of our Kumu John Lake. I understand you had some free classes, but I don't mind tuition and I'll just go check it out.
    I went through my old hawaiiana hula halau notes and started reminiscing and also found i forgot some rythms and meanings so i need to refresh my memories and create more. hope to see you soon.
  • Noho ana ke akua i ka nahelehele i ala ia e ke ki'ohu'ohu e kaua koko
    O na kino malu i ka lani
    malu e ho'e
    e ho'oulu mai ana ke aku i kona mau kahu
    o makou
    o makou no
    o makou noa
    'ae

Something like that.......
    • Yes, something like that...
  • just changed my class schedules. maybe able to attend.. when is the next session. I would like to continue what I started. Mahalo Kahealani
    • We will be starting up again in November, so your timing is good. Tuition is $40/month, to help ensure committed attendance. Kamakakuokalani Center for Hawaiian Studies, Auditorium 101, 6PM Tuesdays.
      ʻOhu
This reply was deleted.