So… The Future is Here…

Psst, Ikaika! Start another folder, will ya? Call it The Future, and let it entail all of our hashings over "what if…" …we get our Referendum -who votes? -what do we vote upon? I would **love** to tear into the concept of voting for dual citizenship (US&Hawaiian), what economic unions we should join, if any, what tarrifs and duties should we oblige/be obliged, etc …we become a commonwealth -what will our land ownership laws look like? -what will our tax base look like? -what will fuel our GDP? -what other isle economies, if any, should we study to see what they do, how they're doing it, and why that could work successfully here …we opt to stay the 50th state -what will our chances be with federal recognition (the only federal recognition that exists is the Hawaiian Homes Commission Act of 1920). -what works for the Native Americans (NA) and how would that work for/against us in the short and long terms? Keep in mind that many, but not all tribal groups have federal recognition, and some have state recognition. I hope to see this discussion grow through the focus of futuristic possibility, ever taking into consideration issues such as global warming, finite land resources, necessity of imported goods, pollution issues, housing/people/socio-economic management. What sayeth kākou? Hiki? Are you into it?

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Mahalo Ikaika for moving this thread in a future folder!

Alohalani, I would love to hear your thoughts on the subject. I understand about the fear of getting bashed; this website is so new, and so many of us have ʻeʻe onto it that the idea to cautiously approach topics like this is understandable. Poking around this site, I think the discussion is replicated in spurts and doses here and there. Maybe we can collate them later.

naʻu
  • Aloha kakou,
    I've added a "future" folder, so I'm gonna move this over there.
  • Okay, here I have to share some thoughts because I lived in Europe for sixteen years. How about becoming a kind of Switzerland? Or the French Riviera? Anyone done research on those possibilities yet? Tax free and guaranteed privacy for bank accounts worked for them. I have other ideas too, but since I don't want to be verbally flayed for being so out there, I will be cautious.
  • Teacher: In 1930, the Republican-controlled House of Representatives, in an effort to alleviate the effects of the... Anyone? Anyone?... the Great Depression, passed the... Anyone? Anyone? The tariff bill? The Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act? Which, anyone? Raised or lowered?... raised tariffs, in an effort to collect more revenue for the federal government. Did it work? Anyone? Anyone know the effects? It did not work, and the United States sank deeper into the Great Depression. Today we have a similar debate over this. Anyone know what this is? Class? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone seen this before? The Laffer Curve. Anyone know what this says? It says that at this point on the revenue curve, you will get exactly the same amount of revenue as at this point. This is very controversial. Does anyone know what Vice President Bush called this in 1980? Anyone? Something-d-o-o economics. "Voodoo" economics.

~apologies to Ferris Bueller

/hint.
This reply was deleted.