Replies

• Charlene Waiwaiole
  • The woman who has played a key role in my life, is my is my Kupunawahine, Madeline Fernandez Brusco. Her spirit continues to play a strong key role in my life today. ALOHA KUU AINA HAWAII is a song that she composed and is the greatest gift that she left for me. My Kupunawahine did not support statehood for Hawaii. It is to my Kupunawahine that I go to in prayer so many times.
  • MY WIFE
    • he kane akamai loa keia me ka ha'i oiaio!
  • Your love is like a tree
    whose roots grow deep within my heart.
    Your life is like a stream
    flowing through my cherished memories of you and I.
    Your smile is like the rising sun
    shining a light that resounds in my eyes.
    Your laughter is like the ripples
    from a pebble casted into the depths of my soul.
    Your spirit is like the stars
    shining brightly for all to see.
    Though I can't see you
    You'll always be watching over me on my life's journey....

That was dedicated to my late Grandma, Evelyn Moikeha. She was a special and wonderful spirit in our ohana and will be missed greatly. Aloha 'oe tutu!
  • The one women in my life that has made such a positive impact would be my Grandmother, Harriet Inakeau Kapahua Kalaukoa. She was the one that raised me growing up. All that I have that is instilled in me today, is because of her. As I am an adult now and a mother myself, I can teach my daughter all that she has taught me. Being a TRUE Hawaiian Women... Not letting people dictate who I should be for the better of THEM. Knowing that nothing comes to you for free, all that you want you should work for it. Not to rely on anyone to get what YOU want, that YOU can get for yourself. And being a strong women in this time and age. I thank her for all that she has taught me. And now, I am sharing with my teenage daughter today.
  • That woman would be my god-mother, Shirley Lilinoe Kahula also known as "ma echo". Always been there for me and treated me like her own. I love her especially for making my children feel like her mo'opuna as well. It means alot not only to me but my entire ohana. Aloha au ia Mama Echo a mau a mau.
  • My 9th grade English teacher Mrs. Eve Hing. A caucasion well educated mainlander who married a Hawaiian/Chinese. At that time she was in her mid 40's with two children under the age of 3. She challenged me a great deal and I had just one year of her "hassles" when her husband passed away due to a car accident. She wasn't the same after that and I could never figure out why she was not able to cope as she was such a strong hard woman. It was the love she lost which she allowed to weaken her spirit and she passed away a few years later after her husband. Never the same in her mind and spirit.. She made an impact on my life to get serious about college and I attended Lane College and the University of Oregon, came home to Kohala to work in the chiropractic field then changed my career to work with the Department of Human Services as a caseworker in my hometown. I promised myself that I would make a contribution to give back to my home, my family and community upon my return home after college - 1989.

Mrs. Eve Hing's daughter graduated from Kamehameha Schools - Kapalama and I remember her when she was only a year and a half old when I visited their home upon her father's passing. When I would see Eve's daughter in town on her visit home being foster cared now by my former 5th grade teacher, I see her momma in her. A mother she never had the privilege of knowing as I had in such a short period of time.

If it wasn't for Mrs. Eve Hing in my life and for her own trials she suffered, it wouldn't have made me a strong woman I am today with all my own trials and accomplishments. Thank you Ke Akua for bringing Mrs. Eve Hing into my life.
  • All Women are precious. My mom, Betty Ebanez Batalona born and raised in Hawaii Nei, had 12 children to raise with my dad. I am the youngest of those 12. As we lived in the country with all the natural elements around us and the responsibility of being stewards of the river and land She impressed upon me the mana of being observant, respectful, open minded, understanding, akamai, kind, caring, patient, creative, talented, fearless, determined and humble. She nurtured the love for music, the respect for the land and pride from hard work in me. ~Most importantly though, her instilled wisdom acknowledged the importance of the woman's role in society to keep the family intact~. Through her, I found my place as a woman in today's modern world. Where ever we may find ourselves, be it far from home, at work or at our kitchen table, it is na wahine who holds the spirit of giving life, offering hope, sharing understanding and forgiveness. Her simple philosophy of how her favorite coconut tree will give her pure,sweet water "clear and cool" emphasizes the importance of being drug free and keeping a healthy mind in order to produce a meaningful life. Even when times are hard and the house is falling apart, her smile and welcoming demeanor leave her many visitors with fond memories of old Hawaii. I yearn to be like her , an ambassador of strength and kindness, one who understands and nurtures the Aloha Spirit within everyone. She's now 83 years old. I ask myself, will I leave such an impact?
  • Women are essential to our lives. Important women don't always wear the mask of superiority or of greatness. Often, the greatest women are those who we remember in passing, those who seek not to be in the spotlight but who guide others to that spotlight.

(As the song, "Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler plays softly in the background... don't worry I won't sing, but you have to admit the lyrics are really good)

It's difficult to choose an important woman to my life, because there have been many, both known and unknown who have left a lasting impression on me and have encouraged me to not just be a better woman, but have been that positive example which young women need to look up to and set the correct standards of right and wrong.

I love to sit at the bus stop or on a park bench and strike up conversations with our kupuna and tutu. The knowledge they freely share reminds me of what's most important. To those all I can say is, "Mahalo a nui loa e Tutu/ Aunty." The conversations may take many avenues, but it's a great way to spend time and learn things not taught in classrooms. Names are very rarely exchanged, but that's alright.

In my life, I have to hold my mother, grandmother, and sister up high on my list of women. They have been my closest and often times only friends, supporting me and not letting me fall down too hard. And I'd even have to add my daughter because she's my inspiration. Her optimism and vitality make all the negativity of the world slip into the shadows.

In all honesty though, where would we be without our mothers? No where. What would our fate as Pacific Islanders be with our mother, Papahanaumoku, Papatuanuku, Haumea, La`ila`i, in all of her guises. Wouldn't it then be fair to say, let's take care of our greatest mother, Mother Earth?

Then there's a few teachers who guide and push us to achieve more than we thought possible. Mrs. Tokunaga from Iao Intermediate who first inspired me to write, Ms. Sue Ann Loudon from Baldwin High School and the Baldwin Theatre Guild whose free spirit ignited the curiosity and passion in her students to explore the world creatively, Lisa Kanae for showing me that Hawaiian literature is the most passionate and to look at our cousins from the Pacific Ocean for the best reading. Patricia Grace for bringing the issues facing her people in Aotearoa and into the spotlight with well written novels. In the world, Lili`uokalani, you all know why, and Princess Diana cause she was a real princess focusing on the needs of others above herself.

Strength and dignity come from all those who aren't afraid to be examples and as we look to the future, it IS the strength and dignity that keep us alive.

Suggestions anyone?
This reply was deleted.