Replies

• No Kanaka Maoli Hawaii Pa'ahao should be sent out of their homeland to Arizona or any other part of the world. There should be a Pu'uhonua in Hawaii for all Kanaka Maoli Hawaii Pa'ahao. A Pu'uhonua that addresses the many problems of today's Kanaka Maoli Hawaii people. One requirement is that all Kanaka Maoli Hawaii Pa'ahao will be required speak Hawaiian before leaving the Pu'uhonua.
  • Aloha,

It is unfortunate that we are unable to keep family at home. On a common sense level after living on the mainland for almost 10 years I can understand why it is a better budget practice to house 'ohana outside of our islands. You'd have to look into the budgeting practice of the state. State might have a grant from the federal governent for 50 million on a partnership match or unmatch funding from another state that has the capacity and land mass to build better facilities to house 'ohana there. This means it is cost effective as well as we all know how high a price we pay for EVERYTHING here.

Another setback is if our neighbors would welcome a prison in their community - some their backyard which brings in safety issues and fear to our neighbors. As a parent myself, the first fear I would have is for my children. My children deserve to have a safety zone away from any kind of inherent danger of those who may escape from a facility. It doesn't mater to me what kind of an offense a person made to go to a prison facility. The fact is, they are there and there for a reason and must be incarcerated. And for those who may be falsely imprisoned that is another issue that only a good and fair attorney can remedy. And with any kind of infrastructure requring public input, one will never find any neighbor/neighborhood in favor of having a prison facility in their community - families don't figure this in their plans of a safe community for them. It is a families inherent right to protect their own. It is unfortunate that to see a mother, father, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, grandpa, etc go to prison but it was some bad choices, bad decision made on their own behalf and the consequences are the consequences.

I have had an uncle in prison and shipped off to the mainland for years and now he is out and a very sickly man. He was taken cared of very well, but the emotional and mental issue of having to suffer his own guilt as to why he was there, and away from home is something only spiritually can be healed. It is between him and God, I can only remember that I love him but I don't have to love what he did and he is in understanding of this. It brings shame to a family of what occurred but this too shall pass. The conseqences now is the waiting. With waiting comes appreciation and all one can do is keep in contact and keep the spirits up of a loved one.

It is very very costly to build a high security facility and the budget may not include funding for management. With unions involved on payscales this is costly to our safety department and finding manpower may not always be easy - to find level headed guards who don't take things personally and keep to their job and remembering the inherent rights of what they may have as prisoners to heart. In the days of old, prison guards had to have some kind of criminology background from college just like police officers. But these days because not many are taking college courses and fit the criteria like example our local police...look at them....potential police officers just need a GED or high school diploma, pass a psychological exam and they are hired. There are officers who are into the pay and the 1/3rd car payments they make on their vehicles with a pay starting over $3k a month. For a single guy this is ideal....and how many of you out there know of a handful of officers with a punk attitude who are into their cars and ego other than the safety of our community? This is the price governement pays just to fill the quota to meet funding requirements and still meet the needs to safety. In my opinion, all officers whether prison guards or police officers should take at least 2 years of criminology background so that when they do their work, you know it's quality and not just pushing paper for our community's safety and for the sake of putting those behind bars who belong behind bars. I'm just speaking common sense now. I believe since 1980 there is no requirement of any colle
    • CONTINUED....excuse me, I believe since early 1980's there is no college requirements for criminology background. This has it's own setbacks, but those in safety policies figured it was hard to get anyone into the job as fast as they needed the service for the facility.

It starts from the home...keep children in line and while they are in public school, the system needs to have more role models of monitors who are just not there for the pay. If a child is bullied, disrespected in any way, a monitor or school official should mediate right away and keep them on a straight and narrow and do this respectful instead of scolding and punishing. With so many domestic issues, CPS and also APS issues, drugs like ice and cocaine and high DUI cases in our state, no wonder we have problems in housing our family at home. And why we need more on the police force yet compromise the quality of those on the force. All locals know what I mean by this. Might be only a handful of corruptness but just one can corrupt many. It only takes a seed and whatever seed is planted grows for good or spoil.

Do we house our prisoners on Kahoolawe for the sake of space? Oh my no way and I bet they thought of this too on some level of "space". If we take care of our home front, our own family that's the seed we put into our community. It starts there and be an example.

Mahalo for allowing me to share, Malama Pono.
This reply was deleted.