Superferry is causing depletion of resources....

Aloha, Resources confiscated of 109 lbs. of opihi and 412 lbs of reef fish and not even mentioning the poundage of sand, rocks, etc....being stolen from outer island resources. I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion posted on the superferry issue. Mahalo nui to Ehu Cardwell and Pono Kealoha for na leo ikaika, but it seems as if our leo fall on deaf ears...The next issue is it is coming to Kawaihae. This article right here proves that they superferry impacts Environment, Resources, Culture. What was there method of destroying the confiscated resources....? Superferry to add night-vision gear Residents cite amounts of fish, opihi being seized MAUI NEWS Saturday, September 20, 2008 http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/508693.html?nav=10 By CHRIS HAMILTON, Staff Writer KAHULUI - Hawaii Superferry is planning to install a new night vision, infrared-thermal imaging system and provide night-vision goggles to two lookouts to help prevent nighttime collisions this winter with humpback whales. The move by the company is in response to a list of 34 recommendations included in the draft rapid risk assessment report overseen by the state-mandated Temporary Hawaii Inter-island Ferry Oversight Task Force. The task force met Friday at the Kahului Harbor Pier 1 Passenger Terminal. When it came to the issue of preventing whale collisions, Maui task force representative Randy Awo said he found it troubling that there is still a question as to whether Hawaii Superferry would do more. Namely, he said the company could install a frontal radar system - which is still being tested - to help detect whales at night. More than 100 people attended Friday's meeting, and 26 signed up to testify before the task force. Many speakers repeated concerns about the Superferry passengers having an impact on Maui's natural resources - especially to restricted marine life such as opihi, lobster and coral - as well as its limited campgrounds, the transfer of invasive species and potential for collisions with whales. There also were repeated calls by the public as well as Mayor Charmaine Tavares to continue state vehicle inspections indefinitely at the expense of Hawaii Superferry. Lesley Matsumoto of Belt Collins Hawaii Ltd. provided results from the rapid risk assessment, which is intended to be a precursor to the much more complete environmental impact study required by a state law that is allowing the ferry to operate. The draft EIS should be finished next month, said Mike Formby, state deputy transportation director for harbors. Testifier Marcia Godinez said she's gone over the confiscation reports by the state Department of Land and Natural Resources and Department of Agriculture. She found that officials have logged almost 2 tons of fish that were removed from Maui's waters and taken to Oahu in the past nine months. Godinez called the revelations very disturbing and demanded continued professional state oversight. In August, the state Conservation and Resources Enforcement Division and agriculture inspectors reported finding 109 pounds of opihi, 412 pounds of reef fish, sand, rock and coral - materials specifically prohibited on the Superferry - as well as two gill nets, devices barred from Maui waters. Ferry passengers also took out another few hundred pounds of unprotected fish - pelagic species such as ahi and aku that are not on the prohibited list. Maui County Environmental Coordinator Kuhea Paracuelles conducted a site visit on Sept. 7 to observe the vehicle inspection process for Tavares. "I am gravely concerned about the impacts that are occurring to Maui's special places and resources," Tavares wrote to the task force. "Many of the negative impacts we feared and predicted are being realized, despite the fact that Hawaii Superferry has been operating well below its optimal passenger load. "I am appalled by the reported amount of marine resources that are leaving our island with Superferry passengers or being confiscated and destroyed." Tavares also reported that Hawaii Superferry Vice Chairman John Garibaldi recently called on DOCARE to stand down from participating in inspections. However, the mayor said that DLNR Chairwoman Laura Thielen rejected the request. Tavares went further to ask task force members to recommend that state conservation enforcement officers and agricultural inspectors be kept on to provide permanent, daily inspections at the expense of Hawaii Superferry. The task force was created as part of the effort to allow the Superferry to resume service after the courts ruled the state should have prepared an environmental assessment before allowing the operation to begin. In a special legislative session, the state required preparation of an environmental impact statement but allowed the governor to establish standards for the ferry to run while the EIS is being completed with the task force to provide oversight. A group of seven Hana High School students addressing the task force Friday said they examined the rapid risk assessment and Lingle's executive orders to date. The boys and girls said they came away with concerns about the ship running at night, traffic congestion and the depletion of natural resources. High school senior Aaron Friesen called on on Hawaii Superferry to pay for infrastructure improvements itself and to further restrict the types of marine life that can be taken by Superferry passengers visiting Maui. A few speakers called for a total ban on transporting all fish and seaweed. Some urged the Superferry to institute a $5 ticket surcharge to help ensure that enough DOCARE and DOA officers are always on hand to conduct vehicle inspections. A few others recommended that Hawaii Superferry pay for independent third-party inspectors. In the month of August, officials from both agencies said there were days that they had to miss inspecting vehicles because of a lack of available staff. U.S. Coast Guard Ret. Adm. Richard Houck of Hawaii Superferry said pointed out some highlights in the last month. The company has recently reduced ticket prices for Maui farmers to sell their fruits and vegetables in Oahu. And in August, local farmers delivered more than 3,000 pounds of produce to Honolulu. Last month, the Superferry averaged less than 350 people per and about 100 vehicles per voyage, Houck said. The Alakai has 836 seats and can hold 230 vehicles. Houck said August's numbers were less than July's but not bad considering the current economic downturn and that it's off-peak for the tourist season. Matsumoto said a consulting firm is surveying passengers to determine what impact they are having on local businesses, community resources, hotels and campgrounds. To the applause of the audience, Awo, the DLNR Maui branch chief for DOCARE, called on Belt Collins to conduct a survey of residents as well. "I just don't get it," Awo said. "If we are talking about socioeconomic impacts, why not go beyond ridership?" * Chris Hamilton can be reached at chamilton@mauinews.com.

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Been out of the loop as recovering from my surgery and putting out fires on coastline issues......but FYI, DLNR has applied to the Army Corps of Engineers to do work in the Kawaihae harbor: new ramp, remove corals etc. I don't have time to take on this issue as working with TPL on paperwork I must get done to apply for a grant (deadline this friday) to purchase private land for preservation amongst other county council issues to saving the Kohala Coastline.
    • Kawaihae Local Resource Council will be meeting from 2 pm-4 pm on Sunday, November 9.

The topic will be the Hawaii Superferry. A representative from the Superferry will outline plans for Kawaihae docking in 2009. Representatives from the South Kohala Traffic Safety Committee will share concerns and suggestions for traffic issues with the Superferry representative and meeting attendees.

The meeting will take place at Hamakua Macadamia Nut Factory in Kawaihae industrial area.

Please do what you can to attend. The Oversight Task Force has found many issues of concern on O'ahu and Maui, so if we don't want to have the same problems here, we need to get involved in this.

Mahalo,
      Jeff
  • There are families who traditionally get certain foods from their families on the neighbor island. It could be for a family occasion where Hawaiian foods are on the menu. These families should continue having the same tradition continue. If it is for profit, then I can see them being banned for gathering things to sell.

I've stated a few times that carsor other vehicles should be assessed for road usage, etc. This would be the same type of fees and taxes for rent-a-cars which are charged for driving on the respective island. Add to that, the same fees charged by the airports should be assessed e.g., landing fees. This fee should be assessed to the HSF which they should not pass on the taxes and fees to the consumer.

I've warned Big Island people about having HSF at Kawaiha'e. They should have the HSF go to Hilo instead. Kaho'ola Heiau is right across from the pier and the cove there is the heiau for the mano. It's enough that the freighters or oil tankers pull up there; but to have constant activity of the HSF at that port will increase the pollutions and traffic at that port which will have an effect on that historic area. The sole reason why HSF is using that port is for the convenience of the Stryker Brigade and other military, since Pohakuloa is right up the hill.

Business on the Kona side has been booming and Hilo could use some business on their side to help support their end of the island. Spread the wealth guys; why have Kona-side continue to support Hilo-side? Use some critical thinking!

Tane

Those on their respective islands have to say something about all these concerns and implement them through their county.
    • Mahalo e Tane,

It is not a matter of business as usual as you have stated it "is" a stryker brigade vessel and that we all know. What really upsets me is the taking of resources. I am close with relatives from outer islands and when I go there, yes, we bring back deer meat, limu, etc....but we do not maha`oi and go get them ourselves unless we are taught respect and have permission from the people in the area. Most of the time, they give me stuff out of there freezer and that is a good point that I was going to bring up. It does not make it right. So the Conservation bogus entity confiscated the items and "destroyed?" them? Hmmm...probably took the 100 lbs of opihi and at it with all their families...:) which is also wrong and stealing. If they did destroy it. That is just as much of a concern of mine, "how are the items destroyed.." through the conservationist stomachs? hmmmm....Sounds like the resources are doomed anyway so we should just let them do whatever they like.
      it is wasteful.

I do not want the superferry on this island...bright lights and all are not going to allow them to detect a nursing whale mother while they are speeding over them. I don't know about businesses booming in Kona but it is fine in Hilo. I do not think superferry gives outer island business at all so I disagree with that. They bring their own cars, so no need to rent. They have four hours to get drunk off of their butts before they get into their own cars and drive off to kill someone on our already congested highways. The resources go very much beyond Pu`ukohola heiau, Mailikini heiau, Hale O kapuni heiau and there are resources within that water that we use. and yes, soon that whole peninsula created (by totally detroying the coral reefs) will have huge gas and oil tanks to distort the face of our wahi pana. The superferry "is" part of stryker and no we don't want it on our island period. Yah, but that would be great to send it to Hilo. Hilo is already totally polluted anyway. :)

I already told all my family if they ride the superferry to my island, "they are not allowed to stay with me" they fly in, they can stay with me. There is absolutely "no good" in having the superferry. It was an idea which didn't have aloha from the beginning (no EIS) and even if they did do an EIS it would not have stopped the vessel from movement why? because it is a stryker brigade vessel.

Problem is, rocks, sand etc...from the outer islands are not up for grabs due to this ship going interisland. People took rocks from Iao Valley....from the river that once ran red with the blood of warriors from a battle there. Someone so maha`oi thought it would be a great idea to take rocks, load it up in their trucks, and try to get it on the superferry. This action is intolerable. I do rock work too but I don't go on outer islands and load them up on my truck. I have special places I go to and have ceremony in the gathering and it takes me years before I even work on a rock. There is much protocol to it. It is not good to go to the outer islands and maha`oi. That is what I mean.

I would love to see the superferry not come to this island at all. but yes, we are dealing with military who has destroyed many wahi pana one of which is pohakuloa as it is where the two mountains meet, endangered birds, etc..etc...We do not want stryker here, so yes, there are long term ramifications which have started to practice bombing at Pohakuloa forever destroying our Hawaiian Home lands...

Aloha Momi
      • Superferry II: The Hawai'i Island Chronicles

All I can say is that moku o Keawe better step up to the plate and KU'E!!! Start rallying to stop it now. Get petitions signed, rally up the local community, get the Big Island boys to use those big ass diesel trucks and lock up those harbors. Come on Keaukaha, where you at? You like them come rob all your fish, your he'e, and your opihi?

Where you at Puna? You want people coming over there to steal your plentiful growth of lehua trees and koa. I hear lehua makes great hard wood floors. Stand up for your 'aina! Ku'e!

And Kona, what will happen when truck loads of pohaku from the major heiau's and ancient places start disappearing for construction projects on O'ahu. Give it your all and give the superferry something to think about. Ku'e!

Lock down your own island. That is the only way that you are going to do it. Kaua'i was able to lock down our island, and we are still going to lock it down because we care so much about our environment and the precious resources that are already being raped by the county, state and united states government. Any U.S. government officials that call themselves preservationists are LIARS! They are only preserving it so they can make the best use out of it when you're gone. Ku'e!

The Superferry can't afford another catastrophic blow to their already seemingly sinking economic hull. Ku'e!!! That's all I know to say. Yes, the waters have calmed some since the explosion of emotion when it first tried to butt it's way in here on Kaua'i, but people are still talking about it. And most people still say they can, they will, and they want to live without it.

What I've heard is that Superferry: The Sequel is about to launch from Alabama harbors and start making its way west toward Hawai'i. So ready yourself Hawai'i island for the big, big ku'e! You want what's happening and will continue to happen on Maui? You want your island to turn into that kind of mess? Get on the ball and stop that boat even before it makes its headway in the waters off the coast of Alabama. Think smart! Stop that piece of metal trash before it makes its way to Hawai'i. Ku'e now or it will be too late!

If Kaua'i can, then Hawai'i can, can, can!

Yes, we need self-sustainable, inexpensive, interisland travel, but at what cost? At the cost of our island's resources and the DLNR attempting to do their job when they can barely enforce themselves. At the cost of rising gas prices and state taxes being taken from your paycheck to pay for gas in a vehicle that has only incurred low passenger service. At the cost of the Lingle's mistake in thinking Superferry was a great idea. 'A'ole it wasn't, it isn't, it won't ever be a great idea. Ku'e!

So, ku'e moku o keawe, ku'e!!!

Hale Mawae
        Eo Lono!
        • ~ae, maika`i. There are some issues I see with the whole Ku`e o Moku o Keawe here. Remember, it is the biggest island so we have to travel much farther, etc... it costs big bucks for onsight activism on this island now days unless you live right next to the area of concern, one needs to have a full time job and no bills to keep up with "getting there" but "networking" is why I posted this article. and Yes, we have to start now. A friend Jeff Sacher is spearheading the effort but we need Hawaiians to get involved in whatever way they can. Even if it is notifying people via lolo uila. Po`e haole want it to go through and so far on the Kona side that I see, I do not see alot of Hawaiian voices to Ku`e. I have done petition signing to deaf ears of the DOT in the past and of course the superferry is not going to stop. I would love it never to go to Kaua`i and Hawai`i but for our island, I don't know if it is a realistic view. Because unlike Kaua`i...it is going to take a long time for people to e ala from the sleep they have been in....and our resources are a great concern of mine not to mention saving the lives of people, honu, kohola etc..etc...Our island lifestyle is at risk. People would be able to hitch a ride in their cars and live on this island wherever they want. Crime rate can get worse since criminals would be moving here....more beaches to be homeless on etc..etc...That is not even taking into consideration the furthering of destruction of our aina by the stryker brigade.

but mahalo eo Lono. I agree we need to Ku`e and many of us have in the past and will now, but many cannot afford to do onsight work and put ourselves in jail and be treated like terrorist so I would like to hear from others who have ideas on that. You are right, we need to Ku`e but where to begin. Maybe at our fingertips...:)

Aloha,

Momi
          • Aloha Momi, Tane and Eo Lono,

I'm so happy to see this discussion taking place. Momi invited me to join in on the discussion, so I will write a little bit here.

One of the difficulties I've faced here on Big Island is the size of the island. (I've been following the HSF issue since 11/04.) Unlike Maui and Kaua'i, we are spread out, and Kawaihae being the small area that it is, there really are not a lot of residents in the area. However, that shouldn't be a reason that keeps us from getting the word out and bringing folks together who are concerned about what HSF will mean to this island.

I'm all for bringing ohana together, but I've seen the schedules and the fares (the current fares are not unlike the subprime mortgages ~ they look fine now, but just wait until reality hits) and they are not beneficial to local families. I won't go into the specifics here, I'm sure it will come up at a later date.

I just wanted to thank you for sharing your thoughts on this issue. It's important for the facts to get out to the public, and discussions like this are a great way to do that. Letters to newspapers, as well as to members of the Senate, House and County Council can go a long way in voicing our concerns about this venture. I sincerely believe there is so much more to be lost than there is to be gained by HSF coming to Big Island. The recent Oversight Task Force reports are proof that an EIS should have been done prior to HSF starting operations. That is the reason for any EIS ~ to find potential problems and address how to keep them from happening.

The folks on Maui are still waiting to hear if the State Supreme Court will be hearing their case regarding ACT 2 that Lingle spearheaded. The fact that she worked so hard to override Hawai's's wonderful environmental laws and that so many of our legislators followed suit should be an embarrassment to all those who voted for ACT 2. I'm so grateful that the folks on Maui had the foresight to file the original lawsuit and that they have continued to push for what is right.

I appreciate being able to be a part of this discussion, and I look forward to your help in getting the facts out to others.

Mahalo,
            Jeff
            • Mahalo Jeff,

Yes, good job to the folks on Maui O Pi`ilani and great Ku`e on Manokalanipo. Now we need to see what we can do on Moku o Keawe to make people aware of the issues of HSF on our islands and impact on our environment and lifestyle.

Mahalo,

Momi
This reply was deleted.