Replies

• Aloha,
    We should learn everything we can from our Kupuna, and take what we have learned from them and teach it to our Keiki. We can go one step farther. We can also share what we have learned and share it with everyone that are willing to listen to us.
    We must be able to truely live as our ancesters, but also be able to incorporate our mordern lifestyle. Be remember that we shouldn't rely on the modern tecnologies. Because if rely to much on modern tecnology, we deprive our culture to survive.
    This is just my Mana'o. Mahalo for letting me express my Mana'o.
    • Words well-said, Ka'imina'auao. The basic Hawaiian philosophy is to adopt, adapt and be adept with. In other words our kupuna learned early on that there is always something new in the world and when one discovers it, one would assess it to see if it can work within our culture. Once they adopt what is new, they adapt it to fit the culture and incorporate it in a non-intrusive way; but what compliments our society without drastic changes. Lastly, they become adept with it and incorporate it so that it becomes a Hawai'ian thing and become quite competent with it. So there is a combination of old and new in progressive terms that doesn't drastically overturn our society nor culture. It doesn't change our values and mores; but enhances it. Progress and evolution is quite natural and should be on our terms and expressions.
      • I concur. Take the best of both cultures, but never forget where you come!
  • What Steven Hookano said.

The land (and title) is number one. Without it we lose our roots, our lo'i ai, our water, etc. Without it... we lose everything.

TOTAL independence from the U.S.:

- None of this "negotiating what is rightfully ours."
    - None of this "negotiating" when we don't have to negotiate. It's ours.
    - None of this "dividing Hawaiians" based on blood quantum, whether they can speak the mother tongue or not, whether they have a Hawaiian name or not, and/or their location.
    - None of this "nation within a nation" crap.
    - "Yes... we CAN."
    - Focus on the land even though some people are trying to distract us with trivialities.
    - Focus on the land and OUR title that we still have as legal heirs. Much of the land in Hawai'i does not have clear title which they already know yet "conveniently" fail to mention. They also do not teach this to our keiki. They never ever teach us in our schools that land is an appreciable asset. They "conveniently" forget to teach us that... yet are so quick to run over our keiki just to obtain our land and/or money that is derived from OUR land. Some people fear what may happen because with title insurance policies it may cost American companies billions of dollars. Some use it to try to justify their racism against us Hawaiians. All because of the land.

IMO focus on the land (the language, food, water, and air too) but without our land all of us die. If we die... so do our kupuna. That is where our roots run deep. In the land. Once we lose our land we lose our roots.

I do not care much about the "de-occupying" part only because while we are fighting to have the U.S. de-occupy Hawai'i they are stealing our land and title. Focus on the land. Focus on the land. Focus on the land. JMM. (Just my mana'o.)

Aloha, L
  • Aloha my name is Steven Hookano im a kalo farmer from the ahupua'a of Wailuanui my Ohana have bin cultivating kalo in this village since pre contact im gratefull that i have the opertunity to mahiai kalo and Aloha this aina and perpetuate this life style.We really need to take a step back and see our selves today as a people and say what is culture with out the kanakas to practice them where is the land and its resources so we as kanakas can flurish be sustainable and be productive and share auwe in order for our culture to survive our people need to survive with out our land and natural resources we as a people will not survive without political control of our land and resources our true culture will be a memory REINSTATE DONT HESITATE TOTAL INDIPENDENCE !!! MAHALO
    • I agree! The U.S.A. must de-occupy our country.
This reply was deleted.