1920~hawaiian homes commission act

this is for kai and tane, outside from my teachings of my kupuna kahiko (ancestors), i researched the history from other historian writters~~~pg. 47--modern hawaiian history by ann Rayson, Ph.D wrote: jonah kuhio kananianole was a prince of the hawaiian realm under king kalakaua and queen lili'uokalani. he had been designated in the line of succession to the throne. he had fought against the republic government in 1895 and gone to jail for it. also pg. 54-- prince kuhio took an active part in trying to rebuild ethnic pride in the hawaiian people and a respect for their achevements. kuhio had harbored the firm belief that the only hope for the hawaiians was to return them to the land and to a relationship with life they could understand. pg 7--prince jonah kuhio kalanianaole by Ree, Frances wrote, (8)-Rehabilitation Act--one of the greatest sorrows in the life of prince kuhio was the unmistakable decline in the hawaiian race during his lifetime. pg. 66--moderm history of hawaii by ann Rayson wrote: Rehabilitation means getting back privileges or property that one has lost! and that kuhio worked hard to gain support for a rehabilitation movement and he tried to inspire in the hawaiian people a desire to return to recovery. pg. 70-71 he did not withdraw but devoted himself to the hawaiian homes commission act~~~da princess~~~

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Aloha Nohealani:

Great mana'o. We all are aware that the purpose is to put native Hawaiians back on the land. Initially, the only requisite was blood quantum. The funding for infrastructure was a pittance and a shoestring budget with a cap on it to do it. Rising costs with the same limited budget forced DHHL to lease out some of the lands to cover the costs for infrustructure (roads, water, electricity, sewage). It was much later that they set a standard and criteria to get the land developed. The restrictions then began to be paternalistic in action. What you can and cannot do. The original intent evolved into a WASP U.S. American perverted sense of thinking and contrary to meeting its obligation. Native Hawaiians fit all strata of society; upper, middle, and lower income and all in-between. Kokua hana lima is a way of life whereby we always try to help each other. This they dismiss because it wouldn't standardize the community into the type of buildings the Department wants to see. Today the parameters they set is unrealistic. It's all about money. I remember Tutu Edith, a close family friend that lived out in Waianae. The land was not arable land, sparse vegetation with kiawe treees here and there. The land was dry; the house was a shanty which had an out-house near by. Inside the house was clean and immaculate and cozy. It was a fun time when we visited and she had a few mo'opuna that we could play with. They were happy, although I wasn't sure whether they were satisfied with their condition of their place. I still can see her and her husband. She had a toothless grin and a husky laugh. Her husband was a hard-working man and mild-manner in his ways. We always loved to go visit them and look for the cotton plants that were scattered here and ther in the surrounding area. It was an adventure for me to see what I could discover. The house wasn't as grandly-built as ours and the yard wasn't manicured as ours; but their HOME was just as beautiful as ours. How much I miss not seeing that place; now that they are gone and so is their home.

Today I see a subdivision of modern-type homes, much smaller properties, and homes that look like Elm Street U.S.A. and some remnants of privately built homes common to what was built in an earlier era. To me, the main thing is to put the Hawaiians back on the land and have them build what they can afford and the community can help as well as other programs that assist people to build a modest house. They main thing is they are back on the land and they can work it on how to make it comfortable and liveable to raise their children and grandchildren. The main thing they feel secure and happy. People forgetthat the first people to be dispossed from their lands were the hawaiian community in favor of covetous developers looking to make money and profits. Hawaiians were the first people to get their community evicted to make way for various development. It seems some things never change.

The Filipinos in Pomoho Camp now know what it's like to be dispossessed and one day the other ethnic groups will feel the same experienc. The Chinese from the Chinatown area knows how that feels because it was done to them way back when. But the Hawaiians have been going through it from way back till today; especially those with the choice property that developers covet. There were communities where Hawaiians lived that are now freeways and highways; there are shopping centers and even parking lots and a huge Aloha Stadium.or maybe a golf course. High-rise business buildings and condiminiums. I grew up seeing the transformation. Angry yet? Why build anything permanent when they might go in and kick you off of it? I think it's time for the U.S. and its military to de-occupy our country; maybe there will be room for us to remain in our homeland.

Tane
    • i have been on the waiting list for almost 20 years and because i qualified in my bloodline, i am not on hawaiian home lands due to the new qualification, a $250,000 loan letter. i wait until the new kingdom government is in control and than i see the lands to claim that is rightfully ours to own!!!.............~da princess~
  • Princess,
    Forgive me but I am planning a princess party with the whole tiare accessories, and these things cost a lot of money that I truly don't have to spend on them, ugh! But, I'm determine to give my great grandchild a princess birthday party, so that when she's older and I am not here she can reflect on her party.

Another point I want to make, growing up on Hawaiian Homestead in Waimanalo was not happy times, if anything it was pretty sad. I think the only thing's I treasure most are the music. Our folks always sang their beautiful Hawaiian songs. Today, I am living in Waianae on Hawaiian Homestead. Waianae is a tough place to grow up let alone be a Kupuna in the community. Safety is always an issue because of the imposed poverty.

I am amazed how people from another state act out, I've always wanted to attend CG Jung Institute College in San Francisco. I spent time in San Francisco while in college at Cal Poly. I video taped a Russian at a Native conference at the Embassy hotel where indeginous people came together for economic issues. It was just a few months before the fall of the Soviet Union and a person I adored got ousted from office, Gorbi. I ran around for a few days with the Haida tribe, they are lucky because they have gold. At that time, we were in the beginning of the Iraq war, and Rodney Kings beating had just occurred, and LA Riot was in it's womb. I was also an esty, for the early 70s or Warnett so I did my wilderness training and workshops in SF. I was enraged over the death of George Helm and wanted to stop the bombing on O Kanaloa Kohe Malamalama.

I really don't know what to say to a 'lolo head' like Peter Lake, he has all the makings of someone who can make a better life for himself and enjoy the culture as in Lilo and Stitch (so, I like the alien stuff). I can't tell from his scanty utterances, immature whinning, as to why? His got it made in San Francisco, we got only sun, surf, and sand---and poverty, poor and sick people here, and most of them are Hawaiians.

If, I was living in San Francisco--I would go to work, attend Jung classes, and join a hula Halau. Who in the hell would want to run DHHL, of course only Bishop Estate Trustees wannabees. Maybe Peter should try it out for size and see if it fits.

As for me, tomorrow night I teach adults to read and in hopes they past their test to get a GED and too in hopes they can further their education at a community college. On Friday I stop at da park and talk story with the homeless while they are making their cup of chocolate and warm saimin bowl.

Princess, I love your response and how you constructed your poetry, it's a bit indoctrinating for aliens that are way out of touch from the realities of genocide.

I am planning a party for a return of a child (hopefully) to her mother, which the state stole. I have left over favors from my other grandchildrens birthday party. After the return of the child to ones parent, or park sweeps children usually suffer from PTS, and it takes a long time for them to get over their anger, and rage, providing that they do.

I wish the Peter's and the like had smarts, so that they could contribute to Hawaii's born that are raised in poverty, instead of what's in it for me. Why are Hawaiians the bulk of homelessness are questions I would like to tending to on this forum, not slippery slope reactions from the apex of Nuuanu. The second question that I get pissed off about when idiots connect DU to babies with no passion for reality, just stupid talk. I can't edit my writing because my hanai grandchild is crying for attention. Kaohi
    • aloha kaohi,

you are a true kupuna, that always give, because its not about taking, my greatest aloha to your great grand mo'opuna, she deserves all that you will put together for her to remember you. i was with my 8 grand children today, all below the age of 6 yrs. old. the Blessings Akua give to us to teach and pass down the knowledge of our ancestors.
      i spoke personally with the president of your village in Waianae hawaiian homes, and i asked him, how does he deal with domestic in your village and he said you all are working on a system that the village men 8-10 of them approach the home of a ohana that is disrupting the village and try to talk to the man of the home and the women in the village talks to the lady of the home, practicing Ho'oponopono (to set matters right). by this the police is kept out of the village and the ohanas of the village becomes the leaders. i thought this was an excellent way of bringing back the native hawaiian values into your village. this was said about 3 yrs ago to me when i attended a hawaian homes convention on oahu. i hope this is still being applied in your village of waianae.
      as for peter in has his own demon to deal with, as for us we have places to go, things to do and mo'opunas to love. my many blessings to you and yours.........~da princess~
  • Princess, are you going to lead da action to change Hawaiian Homes laws that hurt us all now? If so, what actions are you going to make for the people?

This is fair question. You obviously have passion in what you believe in. The concern I have is like this, If George Bush going tell me I or my kids have to go fight a war and maybe get killed and that the war is just, I want him to show me FIRST he telling me the truth by leading or sending his kids first (be first in line to catch da bullets) instead of me & the other grunts into battle.

If Bush or anyone else claiming to be alii no can lead by example, then they no deserve to be alli. Better for no say anything.
    • silly you peter,
      who teach you talk like that
      like you no moa hope in your people
      for you ohana!!!

i can only LEAD in my own ohana
      you have your own responsibility to LEAD
      your ohana to Justice for the sake of the
      teachings from you Kupuna's.
      and peter, no need be on one hawaiian home land
      its your attutude that needs change!!!

no be lazy and expect others to do your job
      no talk LEAD, if you like be the one to Lead....
      i no like that your job away from you
      it is your kuleana to save you ohana, peroid....

shame on your kupuna, no teach you right from wrong
      like only pass the buck to ottas
      grow up, live it, breath it then you can claim it
      like a real man, a kanaka maoli.

no be an otta a'ama crab syndrome case
      we already have enough we have to deal with
      in our generation of a'ama crabs.

many more blessings to your maturity
      to know what is right (being PONO)
      from Wrong (being HEWA)............................................~da princess~
  • “The Hawaiian Homes Commission Act began as a Territory of Hawaii Senate Concurrent Resolution No. 2 to establish a homesteading program for “ . . . associations, settlements or individuals of Hawaiian blood in whole or in part.” . . . This draft bill was further redrafted and introduced as H.R. 12683 by Delegate J. Kuhio Kalanianaole on February 21, 1920 during the 66th Congress Second Session. Its companion bill in the Senate was 3972. No minimal blood content was specified in these bills in conformance to Concurrent Resolution No. 2.“

The next resolution introduced by Delegate J. Kuhio Kalaianaole raised the blood quantum level to 1/32 to pacify the opposition. The Big Five were the ones who did not agree with the 1/32nd blood quantum as they did not want anyone and everyone with Hawaiian blood to own land or reclaim their land. That would have been counter-productive for their land-use and profit. Their leases were expiring so it would be to their advantage to support this act but with the condition that the blood quantum be increased to 50% and more; thereby eliminating many of the Hawaiians to qualify for homestead land which would cut into the leased lands they planned to renew.

Years ago, a kupuna in Waimanalo Homestead retorted, "Are we a fractional people?"

The situation was described by then Hawaii Attorney General Harry Irwin:
    “In the bill as it passed the House last year that read: ‘Not less than on-thirty-second part.’ That particular provision was the cause of a good deal of opposition on the part of the opponents of the bill, and in order to meet that opposition, and perhaps do away with some of the opposition, the legislature decided to amend that to read ‘not less than one-half part of the blood of the races inhabiting the Hawaiian Islands previous to 1778,’ so as to make the proposition more distinctly a Hawaiian rehabilitation scheme. It was said by opponents of the bill that a person of one-thirty-second Hawaiian blood was to all intents and purposes a white person; that as a matter of fact you could not tell the difference between a person having one-thirty-second part of Hawaiian blood from a white person. So in order to meet that objection this change is suggested and the provisions of the bill are confined to those with not less than one-half Hawaiian blood.”
    • Aloha Tane,

You put the explanation of the Hawaian Homes Act blood quantum quite well.Not many have read the Act itself let alone the process and thinking that was going on at that time which resulted in a higher blood quantum than proposed. The opposition to the act really got what they wanted - less Hawaiians qualifying for land. Further the opposition also believed that in due time there would be no more 50% blood Hawaiians as Hawaiians intermarried with other races. This blood quantum further diluted the ability for grandchildren to possess the land of their grandparent(s) unless they had at least 25% blood quantum. Further still, while thousands of Hawaiians waited for land, Hawaiian Home Lands were leased to non-Hawaiians in large tracts. Some Hawaiians have waited 30-40 years, some died before they could get their land.

The blood quantum of the Hawaiian Homes Act further divided our people. Some even use blood quantum to say who is truly Hawaiian and who is not.

Self-sufficiency was one of the main purposes of the Act yet this has not happened because much of the lands are still not occupied by Hawaiians. When my Uncle got one of the first Hawaiian Homes, the house was built for him under the provisions of the Act. Today, Hawaiians must pay for their homes through private funding. Many cannot qualify for loans and thus even after waiting many years when they finally do get land, they can't qualify for the loan to put them on it. 80 years have past since the enactment of this Act and still Hawaiians wait. The original opposition was correct in their assessment - soon there will be fewer and fewer Hawaiians who qualify until there will be none.

This Act needs to be modified before it disappears for lack of qualified Hawaiians.

These are my thoughts. Mahalo.
      Nohealani
This reply was deleted.