hi Kaohi,

More info from the Nuclear people and Isaac:

Sexton, Kimberly
to Isaac, Emile, Katie, Everett, Congresswoman, Cindy, Hearing, Kent, OGCMailCenter, OCAAMAIL, Jim, Angela, me, Cory, Catherine, Brett, Barbara

show details Jul 9 (1 day ago)

Dear Mr. Harp,

In response to your questions:

(1) No. Under the rules of 10 C.F.R. § 2.341(e), neither the filing nor the granting of a petition for review (i.e., an appeal such as yours) stays the effect of the decision or action of the presiding officer, unless the Commission orders otherwise. Therefore, the NRC staff will continue to review the Army’s application to possess depleted uranium at two sites in Hawaii—Schofield Barracks on Oahu and Pohakuloa Training Area on the Big Island of Hawaii—and make its decisions to grant or deny the license according to its normal procedures.

(2) No response necessary because the answer to question number one is no.

(3) Although no response is necessary to this because the answer to question number one is no, the Army is required to submit separate license applications for the facilities it has identified as falling into the category of facilities possessing licensable quantities of DU: Fort Benning, Georgia; Fort Carson, Colorado; Fort Campbell, Kentucky; Fort Hood, Texas; Fort Lewis, Washington; Fort Knox, Kentucky; and Fort Riley, Kansas.

I hope this has answered your questions,

Kimberly Sexton
Counsel for NRC Staff
Office of the General Counsel
Mail Stop O15-D21

U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
Washington, D.C. 20555
301-415-1151

Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 2:16 AM
- Hide quoted text -

To: Julian, Emile; Tucker, Katie
Cc: Everett Ohta; Congresswoman Hirono; Representative, Cindy Evans; Docket, Hearing; Sexton, Kimberly; Kent Herring, LTC, JA; OGCMailCenter Resource; OCAAMAIL Resource; Jim Albertini; Angela Rosa; Amelia Gora; Cory Harden; Scott, Catherine; Klukan, Brett; Barbara Moore
Subject: Re: LB Memorandum and Order (Denying Requests for Hearing) (LBP-10-04) US Army Installation Command
- Hide quoted text -

Aloha Emile,

Mahalo (Thank you) for trying to clarify the situation. I have a couple of other questions that you might be able to assist me with.

1) Am I correct in assuming that while my appeal remains under review by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission that the Army will not receive a Depleted Uranium Possession License for the Hawaii sites?

2) If the response to question number 1 above is YES, does this apply to all locations listed under the Army's application for an NRC Possession Only License, or does this apply to the Hawaii locations only?

3) If the response to question number 2 above is that it applies to Hawaii locations only, will the Army be required to submit a new application to the NRC for a Depleted Uranium Possession Only License for the non-Hawaii locations listed on their current application?

Mahalo Nui Loa! (Thank You Very Much!)

Isaac Harp

P.O. Box 437347

Kamuela, HI 96743

Phone (808) 345-6085

E-mail imua-hawaii@hawaii.rr.com

Rehabilitation::Reconciliation::Military::Genocide

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Performed by Te Vaka during their first ever concert at Apia Park in Western Samoa. This song was written by Opetaia Foai in memory of David McTaggert, (founder of Greenpeace), for his invaluable contribution to the Pacific and his stand against nuclear testing and other environmental issues. When asked in an interview why he did what he did in spite of continual harrassment and beatings by police etc. He replied "I am doing it for our children's children"

TE VAKA - SEI MA LE LOSA live on youtube
  • Amelia,

Here is some papers that might help.
    PAPERS

J.H. Chen and G.J. Wasserburg: Determination of Uranium in Picomole and Subpicomole Quanities; Analytical Chemistry Vol. 53, pp. 2060-2067, (1981).

I. Camins and J. H. Shinn: Analysis of Beryllium and Depleted Uranium: An Overview of Detection Methods in Aerosols and Soils, UCID-21400; Los Alamos National Laboratory, (June 1988). download (29 KBytes)

J.H. Chen, R. L. Edwards, and G.J. Wasserburg: 238U, 234U and 232Th in seawater; Earth and Planetary Science Letters Vol. 80, pp. 241-251, (1986). download (52 KBytes)

R. Lawrence Edwards, J.H. Chen and G.J. Wasserburg: 238U-234U-230Th-232Th systematics and the precise measurement of time over the past 500,000 years; Earth and Planetary Science Letters Vol. 81, pp. 175-192, (1986/87). download (220 KBytes)

S.J. Goldstein, M.T. Murrell and D.R. Janecky: Th and U isotopic systematics of basalts from the Juan de Fuca and Gorda Ridges by mass spectrometry; Earth and Planetary Science Letters Vol. 96, pp. 134-146, (1989). download (93 KBytes)

A. M. Volpe, J. A. Olivares, and M. T. Murrell: Determination of Radium Isotope Ratios and Abundances in Geologic Samples by Thermal Ionization Mass Spectrometry; Analytical Chemistry Vol. 63, pp. 913-916, (1991). download (70 KBytes)

M. Reagan, A. M. Volpe, K V. Cashman: 238U- and 232Th-series chronology of phonolite fractionation at Mount Erebus, Antarctica; Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta Vol. 56, pp. 1401-1407, (1992). download (111 KBytes)
  • Amelia,

I found this interesting citation, but it took awhile to figure out who the author was because I got to it in the midway at first.
    Review of Radioactivity, Military Use, and Health Effects of Depleted Uranium
    Compiled by Vladimir S. Zajic, July 1999
  • Amelia,

I've been listening to Keanu Sai's video recording with Lynett, because I wanted to see how Perfect title (conviction), tort, and Hillary fits. If it does.

I've listened to this 'talk' more than once, and after listening to it a few times one can learn a lot in light of the DU case.

Most importantly Keanu Sai's arguement , it allows people to sleep at night those of us that are on the frontline in our communities working with people that are off the radar and receive thrown rocks from our own kine.

It's a good thing, we should pay closer attention to the details and support it's progress. Thanks aina for the posting.

With Judge Moon retireing maybe we the people can rise above the 'little people' syndrom.
  • Maybe its the wee wee morning I did check out the videos posted on the Kumulipo. I can handle spacey stuff sometimes but not all the time.

Thanks for the chant on the Kumulipo, I was in need and I did leave a comment too.

I attended an educational meeting. Ugh! but needed to touch bases with the Leeward Sup.

Tonight I could see how the 'bloodquantum' is more of a problem for the Akaka Bill but I don't know anymore we'll see how it pans out hopefully we can stave off the Akaka bill once more.
  • REFERENCES
    E. I. Hamilton: Applied Geochronology; Academic Press, London and New York, (1965).

D. J. Horen et al.: Nuclear Level Schemes A = 45 through A = 257 from Nuclear Data Sheets; Academic Press, New York and London, (1973).

H. Gray: Anatomy, Descriptive and Surgical; Running Press, Philadelphia, PA, (1974).

Limits for Intakes of Radionuclides by Workers, ICRP Publication No. 30, Part I; International Commission on Radiological Protection (ICRP), Pergamon Press, New York, (July 1978)

J. C. Elder and M. C. Tinkle: Oxidation of Depleted Uranium Penetrators and Aerosol Dispersal at High Temperatures, LA-8610-MS; Los Alamos National Laboratory, (December 1980). download (2,857 KBytes)

W. R. Leo: Techniques for Nuclear and Particle Physics Experiments; Springer-Verlag, New York, Berlin, and Heidelberg, (1987).

R. E. Alexander, A. Brodsky, R. B. Neel, and J. S. Puskin: Uranium Mills Bioassay Dosimetry Model; Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), (January 1988).

L. Parker: Fear of Flying; Nature, Vol. 336, (December 1988).

P. Loewenstein: Industrial Uses of Depleted Uranium, Vol. I; American Society for Metals, (1989).

I. Camins and J. H. Shinn: Analysis of Beryllium and Depleted Uranium: An Overview of Detection Methods in Aerosols and Soils, UCID-21400; Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, (March 1989). download (4,249 KBytes)

J. W. Gofman: Radiation-Induced Cancer from Low-dose Exposure - an Independent Analysis; Committee for Nuclear Responsibility, (1990).

M. H. Ebinger, E. H. Essington, E. S. Gladney, B. D. Newman, and C. L. Reynolds: Long Term Fate of Depleted Uranium at Aberdeen and Yuma Proving Grounds, Phase I: Geochemical Transport and Modeling, LA-11790-MS; Los Alamos National Laboratory, (June 1990). download (1,419 KBytes)

Kinetic Energy Penetrator Environmental and Health Considerations, Science Applications International Corp. (SAIC), (July 1990), also included as Appendix D of [14].

M. E. Danesi: Kinetic Energy Penetrator Long Term Strategy Study; US Army Armament, Munitions, and Chemical Command (AMCCOM), (July 1990).

Guidelines for Safe Response to Handling, Storage, and Transportation Accidents Involving Army Tank Munitions and Armor Which Contain Depleted Uranium, TB 9-1300-278, Appendix F; Headquarters, Department of the Army (HQDA), (September 1990).

Public Health Statement: Uranium; Department of Health and Human Services, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), (December 1990).

D. Stokols, I. J. M. Stellman, and C. Brabant, Encyclopedia of Occupational Health and Safety, Vol. 2; International Labor Office (ILO), Geneva, (1991).

Summation of ARDEC Test Data Pertaining to the Oxidation of Depleted Uranium During Battlefield Conditions; US Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center (ARDEC), (March 1991).

Lt. Col. Ziehmn to Maj. Larson: The Effectivness of Depleted Uranium Penetrators; Los Alamos National Laboratory memorandum, Studies and Analysis Branch, (March 1991), included in [102].

Standards for Protection against Radiation, Title 10 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Part 20 (10 CFR 20); Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), (May 1991).

Estimated Cost of Destroyed Ammunition, Estimated Cost of Destroyed Vehicles, Army Accident Report 910711001; US Army Safety Center, (September 1991).

Occupational Radiation Protection, Title 10 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Part 835, (10 CFR 835); Department of Energy (DOE), (1993).

Operation Desert Storm: Army Not Adequately Prepared to Deal with Depleted Uranium Contamination, GAO/NSIAD-93-90; General Accounting Office (GAO), (January 1993).

G. Bukowski, D. A. Lopez, and F. M. McGehee III: Uranium Battlefields Home & Abroad: Depleted Uranium Use by the US Department of Defense; Rural Alliance for Military Accountability, Progressive Alliance for Community Empowerment, Citizen Alert, (March 1993). download (1,770 KBytes)

M. H. Erbinger, O. B. Myers, P. L. Kennedy, and W. H. Clements: Depleted Uranium Risk Assesment at Aberdeen Proving Ground, LA-UR-93-484; Los Alamos National Laboratory, (March 1993). download (429 KBytes)

A. J. Magill, M. Grogl, R. A. Gasser Jr. W. Sun, and C. N. Oster: Visceral infection caused by Leishmania tropica in veterans of Operation Desert Storm; New England Journal of Medicine, Vol. 328, (May 1993).

C. A. Ohl, K. C. Hyams, J. D. Malone, and E. Oldfield: Leishmaniasis among Desert Storm veterans: a diagnostic and therapeutic dilemma; Military Medicine, Vol. 158, (November 1993).

D. M. Van Etten and W. D. Purtyman: Depleted Uranium Investigation at Missile Impact Sites in White Sands Missile Range, LA-12675-MS; Los Alamos National Laboratory, (January 1994). download (1,908 KBytes)

H. Ebinger and W. R. Hansen: Depleted Uranium Human Health Risk Assessment at Jefferson Proving Ground, Indiana, LA-UR-94-1809; Los Alamos National Laboratory, (April 1994). download (3,524 KBytes)

V. Mikhailov: The Enrichment Industry in the Russian Federation, 1995 Uranium Institute Symposium Abstract; Russian Ministry for Atomic Energy (Minatom), Moscow, (1995).

G. L. Nicolson, E. Hyman, Col. A. Kor yi-Both, D. A. Lopez, N. Nicolson, W. Rea, H. Urnovitz: Progress on Persian Gulf War Illnesses - Reality and Hypotheses; International Journal of Occupational Medicine and Toxicology 4, (1995).

N. M. Becker and E. B. Varta: Hydrologic Transport of Depleted Uranium Associated with Open Air Dynamic Range Testing, LA-UR-95-1213; Los Alamos National Laboratory, (May 1995). download (938 KBytes)

Health and Environmental Consequences of Depleted Uranium Use in the US Army; US Army Environmental Policy Institute (AEPI), (June 1995).

H. Livingstone: Depleted Uranium Weapons, The Edge Gallery, London, (July 1995).

Depleted Uranium Training Support Packets: Tier I - General Awareness; US Army Chemical School, (October 1995).

D. Judd: Current Findings: A Health Survey of 10,051 Ill Gulf War Veterans; Operation Desert Shield / Desert Storm Association, (November 1995)

P. L. Goddard, A. J. Legeay, D. S. Pesce, and A. M. Stanley: Site Descriptions of Environmental Restoration Units at the Oak Ridge K-25 Site, K/ER-47/R1; Oak Ridge National Laboratory, (November 1995).

Brookhaven National Laboratory Radiological Control Manual; Brookhaven National Laboratory, (last revised March 1999) or Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab) Radiological Control Manual; Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, (last revised September 1999). download (50 KBytes)

J. V. Writer, R. F. DeFraites, and J. F. Brundage: Comparative mortality among U.S. military personnel in the Persian Gulf region and worldwide during Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm; Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), Vol. 275, (January 1996).

Radioactive Battlefields of the 1990s; Military Toxics Project, (January 1996).

L. A. Dietz: Contamination of Persian Gulf War Veterans and Others by Depleted Uranium; WISE Uranium Project, (June 1996).

Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical Vulnerability Analysis, Army Field Manual 3-14; US Army Chemical School, (July 1996).

M. H. Ebinger, P. L. Kennedy, O. B. Myers, W. Clements, H. T. Bestgen, and R. J. Beckman: Long-term fate of depleted uranium at Aberdeen and Yuma Proving Grounds, Phase II: Human Health and Ecological Risk Assessments; Los Alamos National Laboratory, (September 1996). download (13,373 KBytes)

Subcomission on Prevention of Discrimination and Protection of Minorities Concludes 48th Session; UN Press Release, HR/CN/755, (September 4, 1996).

M. H. Ebinger and W. R. Hansen: Depleted Uranium Risk Assessment for Jefferson Proving Ground Using Data from Environmental Monitoring and Site Characterization; Los Alamos National Laboratory, LA-UR-96-3852, (October 1996). download (4,117 KBytes)

H. K. Kang and T. A. Bullman: Mortality among US veterans of the Persian Gulf War; New England Journal of Medicine, Vol. 335, (November 1996)..

J. Shirley: Nukes of the Gulf War, ParaScope, (November 1996).

H. Van der Keur: Uranium Pollution from the Amsterdam 1992 Plane Crash; WISE News Communiqué No. 463/464, (December 1996).

S. H. Mather: Statement to the Subcommittee on Human Resources and Intergovernmental Relations, House Committee on Governemnt Reform and Oversight; Veterans Health Administration, (December 1996).

P. Jacob, G. Pröhl, K. Schneider, and J.-U.Voss: Machbarkeitsstudie zur Verknüpfung der Bewertung radiologischer und chemisch-toxischer Wirkungen von Altlasten, Umweltbundesamt, Texte 43/97, Berlin, (1997).

Persian Gulf Veterans Coordinating Board Fact Sheet; The Research Working Group of the Persian Gulf Veterans Coordinating Board, (January 1997).

Public Health Assesment: US Army Materials Technology Laboratory Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, MA0213820939; Department of Health and Human Services, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), (February 1997).

M. H. Ebinger, T. P. Oxenburg: Modeling exposure to depleted uranium in support of decommissioning at Jefferson Proving Ground, Indiana, LA-UR-96-3907; Los Alamos National Laboratory, Proceedings of the Waste Management '97 Conference, Tucson, AZ, (March 1997). download (797 KBytes)

D. Fahey: Depleted Uranium - The Stone Unturned, Report on Exposures of Persian Gulf War Veterans and Others to Depleted Uranium Contamination; Swords to Plowshares, (March 1997).

S.-H. Guenther: How DU Shell Residues Poison Iraq, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia; Metal of Dishonor, International Action Center, (May 1997).

D. Fahey: Collateral Damage: How US Troops Were Exposed to DU During the Gulf War; Metal of Dishonor; International Action Center, (May 1997).

M. Anderson, T. D. Enyeart, T. L. Jackson, R. W. Smith, C. E. Stewart, R. A. Thompson, M. D. Ulick, and K. K. Zander: Resumption of Use of Depleted Uranium Rounds at Nellis Air Force Range, Target 63-10; US Air Force, (June 1997).

Toxicological Profile: Uranium and Compounds, DE-98/02; Department of Health and Human Services, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), (September 1997).

Hon. D. Burton: Gulf War Veterans' Illnesses: VA, DoD Continue to Resist Strong Evidence Linking Toxic Causes to Chronic Health Effects, House Report 105-388; Committee on Government Reform and Oversight, (November 1997).

C. E. Groves: Control of Sodium, Potassium and Water Balance ; University of Arizona, (December 1997).

C. E. Groves: Renal Water Reabsorbtion and Concentration/Dilution of Urine; University of Arizona, (December 1997).

C. E. Groves: Calcium Regulation; University of Arizona, (December 1997).

K. F. Eckerman, R. W. Leggett, C. B. Nelson, L. S. Puskin, and , A. C. B. Richardson: Health Risks From Low-level Environmental Exposure to Radionuclides, Federal Guidance Report No. 13; Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Environmental Protection Agency, (1998). download (1,088 KBytes)

Annual Report of the Office of the Special Assistant to the Deputy Secretary of Defense for Gulf War Illnesses; Department of Defense (DoD), (January 1998).

A. McDiarmid and J. P. Keogh: The Depleted Uranium Follow-Up Program; Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute (AFRRI), (March 1998).

R. Fisk: Allies Blamed for Iraq Cancer Torment, The Independent, London, (March 4, 1998).

R. Fisk: From the Cancer Ward of Basra Hospital, The Independent, London, (March 6, 1998).

M. L. Zamora, B. L. Tracy, J. M. Zielinski, D. P. Meyerhof, and M. A. Moss: Chronic Ingestion of Uranium in Drinking Water: A Study of Kidney Bioeffects in Humans; Toxicological Sciences, Vol. 43, (May 1998).

J. D. Knoke and G. C. Gray: Hospitalizations for Unexplained Illnesses among US Veterans of the Persian Gulf War ; Emerging Infectious Diseses, Vol. 2, (April - June 1998).

A. McDiarmid, A., K. McPhaul, F. J. Hooper, et al: Biological Monitoring and Medical Surveillance Results of Depleted Uranium Exposed Gulf War Veterans; Conference on Federally Sponsored Gulf War Veterans' Illnesses Research, (June 1998).

Public Law 105-204, (July 1998), also included as Appendix N of [82].

B. Rostker: Environmental Exposure Report: Depleted Uranium in the Gulf, Department of Defense, (July 1998).

A. C. Miller, W. F. Blakely, D. Livengood, T. Whittaker, J. Xu, J. W. Ejnik, M. M. Hamilton, E. Parlette, T. St. John, H. M. Gerstenberg, and H. Hsu: Transformation of Human Osteoblast Cells to the Tumorigenic Phenotype by Depleted Uranium-Uranyl Chloride; Environmental Health Perspectives, Vol. 106, (August 1998).

B. Bender, US double strike: 'a new ball game', Jane's Defence Weekly, (August 1998).

D. Fahey: Case Narrative - Depleted Uranium Exposures; Swords to Plowshares, National Gulf War Resource Center, Military Toxics Project, (September 1998). See the more recent report [102].

S. Thomas, L. Frank, and F. Sutherland: An Investigation into Illnesses Around the Nation's Nuclear Weapons Sites: Emerging health problems at the Oak Ridge nuclear weapons complex, Health problems revealed among neighbors of the Oak Ridge nuclear reservation, Mystery Illness found nationwide; The Tennessean, (September 29, 1998).

H. Livingstone: Depleted Uranium In The Gulf; Electronic Whip, (October 1998).

R. Fisk: The Evidence Is There. We Caused Cancer in the Gulf, The Independent, London, (October 16, 1998).

A. Clarke, P. Hollett, G. McCauley, J. Hébert, and S. Vlahovich: Guide to Ionizing Radiation Exposures for the Occupational Physician, GMA-12; Canadian Nuclear Safety Commision (CNSC), formerly Atomic Energy Control Board (AECB), Canada, (November 1998).

B. Grant: Lasers Improve Uranium Enrichment; Photonics Spectra, (December 1997).

J. Tomkovicz: USEC Begins Process of Siting New AVLIS Uranium Enrichment Facility; USEC News Release, (October 1998).

W. H. Timbers: USEC Inc. Suspends AVLIS Technology Development; USEC News Release, (June 1999).

J. Cooke: Middle East Veterans back Iraq over Gulf war illness; BBC News, (December 3, 1998).

K. H. Bacon: DoD News Briefing, (December 3, 1998).

H. Harley, E. C. Foulkes, L. H. Hilborne, A. Hudson, and C. R. Anthony: A Review of the Scientific Literature As It Pertains to Gulf War Illnesses: Vol. 7, Depleted Uranium, MR-1018/7-OSD; RAND, (1999).

Final Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement for Alternative Strategies for the Long-Term Management and Use of Depleted Uranium Hexafluoride, DOE/EIS-0269; Department of Energy (DOE}, (April 1999).

Acute Radiation Syndrome; Radiation Effects Research Foundation (RERF), Hiroshima, (April 1999).

S. Peterson: A Special Report - The trail of a bullet - Will America risk use of DU in Kosovo? - DU's global spread spurs debate over effect on humans - A rare visit to Iraq's radioactive battlefield - DU's fallout in Iraq and Kuwait: a rise in illness?; Christian Science Monitor, (April 29, 1999).

S. Peterson: Special Report: Part 2 - Pentagon stance on DU a moving target - Tungsten: One alternative to a risky 'favorite round'?; Christian Science Monitor, (April 30, 1999).

Parasites and Parasitological Resources; College of Biological Sciences, Ohio State University, (May 1999).

K. H. Bacon and Maj. Gen. C. Wald: DoD News Briefing, (May 3, 1999).

R. Coghill, C. Busby, and A. Philips: The Question of Depleted Uranium Bombing: Battlefield Chernobyl?; Coghill Research Laboratories, (June 1999).

B. Busby: Radiation and Us; Faculty of Nuclear Engineering, Oregon State University, (June 1999).

R. Edwards: Too hot to handle; New Scientist, (June 5, 1999).

K. S. Saladin: Anatomy and Physiology; McGraw-Hill, (July 1999).

War in Yugoslavia, Venik's Aviation Page (July 1999).

War over Yugoslavia, YU Model Club, (July 1999).

Z. Vukmirovic: Personal communication; VINCA Institute of Nuclear Sciences, Belgrade, (July 1999).

L. Robinson: It's bombs astray, U.S. News, (August 1999).

Exposed: The Deadly Legacy of NATO Strikes in Kosovo; The Independent, London, (October 4, 1999).

S. Peterson: A Special Report: The Trail of a Bullet; Christian Science Monitor, (October 5, 1999).

D. Fahey: Don't Look, Don't Find; Military Toxics Project, (March, 2000). download (1,078 KBytes)

A. Alessandrello, C. Arpesella, C. Brofferio, C. Bucci, C. Cattadori, O. Cremonesi, E. Fiorini, A. Giuliani, S. Latorre, A. Nucciotti, E. Orvini, M. Pavan, S. Parmeggiano, M. Perego, G. Pessina, S. Pirro, E. Previtali, B. Romualdi, A. Rotilio, E. Tatananni, and L. Zanotti: Measurements of Internal Radioactive Contamination in Samples of Roman Lead to Be Used in Experiments on Rare Events, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B142, (1998), pp. 163-172.

Tomahawk Land Attack Missile Fact Sheet, Surface Warfare Division, US Navy, (January 2001).
  • I attended the meeting tonight, what can I say so much ignorance. I don't know what to say. People who hate homeless a reflection of bad leadership, couldn't resist blaming Makua fires on the homeless population.

Aside from the blame game, saving the endangered species was most important. I couldn't comprehend the comparison to a human life as oppose to an endangered species in the wild. Growing endagnered species in a lab might make sense to me, but a dead person seems more important, but not at this meeting.

talk more later
  • What is the end product?
    What is the end product?
    How much will there be?
    How radioactive will it be?
    What is its effective half-life?
    How much shielding will it require?
    What is its potential for mischief?
    hsfrey
    02/25/2009

Re: What is the end product?
    These are exactly the questions I have, hsfrey.

Also, what will be the volume of waste and what are the costs of dealing with the waste?
    JonPaul
    02/25/2009

Re: What is the end product?
    Re: hsfrey questions

What are the end product?
    The end products are residual (unburned) U-238, fission products, and transuranic elements (Np, Pu, Am, and Cm)

How much will there be?
    The fuel in this reactor is Pu-239. The energy content in 1 lb of Pu-239 is equivalent to more than 2,000,000 lbs of coal, so nuclear power produces an enormous amount of energy and an extremely small amount of waste.
    Currently we have 104 nuclear reactors in operation in the US, which generate about 20% of our electricity. The total amount of spent fuel discharged is about 2,000 tons per year. Of this, 95% is U-238 (which could be used as fuel in the Wave reactor), 4% is fission products (waste), 1% is transuranics (TRU). Of the 1% TRU, 90% is Pu, which can be recycled as fuel. The remaining 10% (0.1% of the total) is Np, Am, and Cm, which is considered waste, but can be recycled in a fast reactor like the Wave. The amount of fission products (waste) generated each year is 4% of 2,000 tons or 160,000 lbs. There are 300 million people in the US, so the average share of the nuclear waste is 160,000 lbs / 300 million = 0.0005 lbs, or 0.2 grams per person per year. If you received 100% of your electricity from nuclear power for your entire lifetime, all of the nuclear waste generated from your use would fit in a coffee cup. Compare this to the average person's carbon footprint of 20 tons of CO2 per year.

How radioactive will it be?
    The radioactivity of the end products from the Wave reactor would be essentially the same as from the current generation of reactors.

What is its effective half-life?
    The half-lives of the numerous fission products vary from a fraction of a second to many years. It takes about 500 years for the fission products to decay to same level of radioactivity as the natural uranium we started with.

How much shielding will it require?
    Spent fuel is stored under water for at least 5 years to allow the fuel to cool (water is also an excellent shielding material). After that the fuel can be transferred to dry storage casks, which use steel and concrete for shielding. Six inches of concrete will stop more than 90% of the radiation from the spent fuel. A typical cask has about 3 inches of steel (for gamma shielding) and almost 3 feet of heavily reinforced concrete (for both gamma and neutron shielding).

What is its potential for mischief?
    None. The combination of physical security, the huge mass of the storage systems, and self-protecting nature of radioactive materials make spent fuel extremely unattractive for mischief or misuse.
  • Amelia,

Here is another bogus: (but a little bit of truth) Lead and other poison was made into glassware--drinking glassware that is.

Schemes to turn CO2 emissions into useful products abound, but even clean energy can produce nasty byproducts. A startup called Kurion plans to tackle the problem of nuclear waste through vitrification--a process that can turn the toxic stuff into glass or ceramics, according to Greentech Media.

Kurion won't reveal exactly how its process works, though the company website does reveal that "Kurion's solutions are modular, quickly deployable, work with existing systems, and substantially reduce our customers' total lifecycle costs." If Kurion can prove itself, its nuclear waste solution could be a boon to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, which regulates the entire U.S. nuclear waste stockpile.

Nuclear waste vitrification isn't exactly new--England and Japan both use the process to store some nuclear waste--but the U.S. hasn't adopted the process thus far. And Kurion and its mysterious "proprietary solutions that isolate waste from the environment to help enable new clean safe nuclear power for a secure energy future" are certainly new animals in the startup kingdom.

junk science!!!!
  • Amelia grab this bull!!!!!

Nuclear Waste: Solved
    By Nick Hodge | Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010
    Glass has been on the minds of many lately.

For a while yesterday, “Gorilla Glass” was the most popular search trend on Google, after Corning (NYSE: GLW) began touting the shelved 1962 invention.

Until now, there's been no market for the super-strong glass that's hard to break, dent, or scratch, and that's three times stronger than chemically strengthened soda-lime glass when half as thick.

Analysts say the product is about to undergo a multi-billion dollar bonanza as electronics companies buy tons of it to make frameless TVs thinner than a dime.

And that's not even the most exciting glass story hitting the wire...

Secretive startup turns nuclear waste into glass

Bill Gates has said we need “energy miracles.” And he's poured millions into developing a nuclear reactor that can run on depleted uranium for up to 100 years without fueling.

As Gates works on the reactor side, another company is taking on the waste.

Kurion, widely described as a secretive startup, has developed a way to store nuclear waste in glass or ceramics through a process called vitrification.

The technology could bring the United States into the 21st century regarding nuclear waste. (We've been doing it the same way — with the same worries — for over half a century.)

And the company has street cred: CEO John Raymont spent 25 years at a nuclear waste management company that was acquired by EnergySolutions (NYSE: ES) in 2007, and VP of technology is Gaetan Bonhomme, formerly of glass behemoth Saint-Gobain.

The advisory board counts both Patrick Moore — founder of Greenpeace — and former Governor Christine Todd Whitman as members.

In a very real and profitable way, nuclear energy is entering a new era. If Obama's $58 billion in loan guarantees to build new plants didn't give it away, the presence of names like Gates, Whitman, and Moore should.

And while you can't get a piece of Gates' venture, TerraPower, or Kurion just yet, I've found an equally exciting opportunity that everyone can get a piece of — but that's being suppressed by major news outlets.

Can you believe this!!!! Sounds like the purple gorilla, huh?
This reply was deleted.